Premed 101 Forums

Course Project Work In Abs

omb

Hey all, I took a course in my final year where I really only did project work. I worked on some interesting projects - 

Music player for the deaf or hard of hearing

Designed a device that plays music as large physical vibrations that can be felt on the skin, for use by people who are deaf or hard of hearing.

Photo journal

Utilized camera glasses along with face-detection algorithm to create a collage of people you meet during the day; potential memory aid for seniors.

TGH Hand Washing

Worked on analyzing data regarding hand washing compliance at the Toronto General Hospital, in presence and absence of a compliance monitor.

Should I include any or all of these projects under the formal education category? It's hard to describe them without 150 characters each, and I feel like they are interesting projects that would help me stand out. Would this be considered padding my ABS?

Hey all, I took a course in my final year where I really only did project work. I worked on some interesting projects - 

Music player for the deaf or hard of hearing

Designed a device that plays music as large physical vibrations that can be felt on the skin, for use by people who are deaf or hard of hearing.

Photo journal

Utilized camera glasses along with face-detection algorithm to create a collage of people you meet during the day; potential memory aid for seniors.

TGH Hand Washing

Worked on analyzing data regarding hand washing compliance at the Toronto General Hospital, in presence and absence of a compliance monitor.

Should I include any or all of these projects under the formal education category? It's hard to describe them without 150 characters each, and I feel like they are interesting projects that would help me stand out. Would this be considered padding my ABS?

Since the instructions say not to include course-work on the ABS, you should stick to it. Having said that, I understand your frustration which many of us face and regardless of whether it was part of a course or not, your experience was still valuable (as you suggest). Therefore, I would recommend that you include in formal education, but that you also include it as 'other'. You could also mention in the ABS essays. 

Trouble is that without a description, it's hard for people to understand what the projects are about. In truth, I continued to work on those projects after the course ended and the music player is still ongoing, but it's hard to draw the line. 

Thanks for your help!

Archived