Premed 101 Forums

Citing Verifier# Mid-Paragraph For 4 Prompted Essays

I don't know if they actually count words or characters, but I would simply guess that they don't actually count how many words there are because that would take quite a long time, if done for such a large number of applicants.

PS. Good luck this year pablo_yike! Was watching your progress last year...us teachers have to stick together :P

I don't know if they actually count words or characters, but I would simply guess that they don't actually count how many words there are because that would take quite a long time, if done for such a large number of applicants.

PS. Good luck this year pablo_yike! Was watching your progress last year...us teachers have to stick together :P

Computerized word-counts? 

On a related topic, is anyone also listing the item number from their ABS that corresponds to the topic discussed in the essays? Or are you guys just putting the verifier number in brackets? I'm wondering whether I should do something like (Item 10 (2)), which lists the item number and verifier.

Any thoughts would be appreciated :)

On a related topic, is anyone also listing the item number from their ABS that corresponds to the topic discussed in the essays? Or are you guys just putting the verifier number in brackets? I'm wondering whether I should do something like (Item 10 (2)), which lists the item number and verifier.

Yep, that's what I did. 

Also, in the ABS item list, it seems that OMSAS itself has a place to associate the verifier with the activity (It's the box when you click on add/show more details). So, do we still have to list the verifier in brackets next to the 150 character description? In their instructions they say list it in brackets next to your activity, so I'm not clear on what they want. thank u! 

I initially wanted to do this but then I remembered reading that the ABS/associated essays and BPEs are evaluated separately so I assumed that the person reviewing the BPEs might not necessarily have the ABS in front of them.

Does anyone know how the process actually works?

Thanks for the replies.  So do they not do any further word count than the 2000 character count?  8 characters/word is pretty generous.

If that's the only count they use, I have wasted a lot of time and effort trimming down my essays based on actual word count.

Hi can someone clarify this it says that the essays should be less than 250 words or less, there is no mention of character count? Where the 2000 character count mentioned? 

Computerized word-counts? 

I'm guessing that's still too much time for 2000ish applicants. Even if it takes 10 seconds to verify that (which is pretty fast), it will still work out to about 5, 6 hours just to check everyone. Realistically, they'll likely say "It fit in the box, I'll read it."

I'm not recommending anyone go for some really high word count, nor am I trying to sway anyone into doing anything they're uncomfortable with. I just find it highly unlikely that there's going to be a difference between 250 on the nose and even 300. I don't think a typical person can quickly and efficiently tell the difference between 250 and 300 words.

That being said, I pushed the envelope to nearly 2000 characters. Many of you will probably think I'm taking an unnecessary risk but in my own eyes, if there's space, I'm using it to sell myself dangit. It's hard to get anyone to look at my application with my stats haha. I personally feel that in my situation (being a non-trad and having a lot to discuss) the benefits outweigh the costs. Any negative points associated with failing to follow instructions (which realistically, I don't even feel apply) will hopefully be made up for by having a stronger essay.

Cool thx. Do u put the verifier in there like this (Item 10, verifier 3) or just with the number  (Item 10(3)). I don't want them to not know what that second number stands for, but I don't want to use an extra word for some of the essays. Word count is not my friend :/

Put [3], that's their specific code for verifiers. If you insist in listing your ABS Item numbers, I'd recommend (ABS #10[3]) for your formatting, it wouldn't increase your word count any more than what you're already doing.

Also, in the ABS item list, it seems that OMSAS itself has a place to associate the verifier with the activity (It's the box when you click on add/show more details). So, do we still have to list the verifier in brackets next to the 150 character description? In their instructions they say list it in brackets next to your activity, so I'm not clear on what they want. thank u! 

I think it's unlikely we have to list it in both places and my personal interpretation is that they mean for activities referenced in the body of your description. For example, if your entry was about giving a poster presentation, and you mention going to a conference (that itself does not appear on your ABS) then you may want to toss on a verifier for that.

There's some controversy regarding this, but listing [6] in the title may or may not be required for items listed in the "Other" category (which do not have an OMSAS verifier box, or even a description box). Again personally, I feel that the section is most likely for largely unverifiable things, like overcoming a medical condition...otherwise they'd have a box there.

Regardless, for most entries in your ABS, including [6] in your description is superfluous, and the last thing I'd want to do is make things appear any longer than they need to be.

I initially wanted to do this but then I remembered reading that the ABS/associated essays and BPEs are evaluated separately so I assumed that the person reviewing the BPEs might not necessarily have the ABS in front of them.

Does anyone know how the process actually works?

All purely speculation, but my reasoning is that:

Case 1: The reader of the BPE does not have access to the ABS

- Listing ABS Item numbers is useless

Case 2: The reader of the BPE does have access to the ABS

- The reader can likely figure out which entry you're referring to without directly supplying a number if you provide a description of the activity.

Hi can someone clarify this it says that the essays should be less than 250 words or less, there is no mention of character count? Where the 2000 character count mentioned? 

I don't think you'll get a clear answer unfortunately, as no one knows the exact evaluation procedure. The 2000 character count appears on OMSAS when you go to submit your essays.

I called Toronto today, they said you do not have to list any verifier numbers in you're essay, though some people do this. The wording they give is very vague...they said for any activity you mention you must provide a verifier...they don't say you need to provide the verifier in the actual text.

It does not specifically say "list the verifier numbers in the essay" it says you need to "provide verifiers for those activities" ...I'm sure if you put them in the essay that's fine but as long as you have verifiers for the the stuff you write in you're verifier list that would be fine as well.

I think you should stick to under 250 words. It is clearly stated in the PDF under brief personal essays "Each brief 

personal essay must be 250 words or less."

Archived