Premed 101 Forums

What Are My Options With My Mcat Score? + Any Advice For Vr Studying?

Hey everyone, I took the MCAT during the August 27 sitting and received my scores back just recently. Unfortunately they are ever so skewed:

13/8/13 (PS/VR/BS). Overall = 34!

There aren't any seatings in Toronto for the old MCAT. I have been trying to look at medical school requirements as UofT is now out of the question with their 9/9/9 hard cutoffs. Are there any schools that would still accept a low score in Verbal Reasoning? I haven't had any luck in finding concrete MCAT requirements other than UofT's.

I will try to find a seat for the old MCAT, so I would also like to ask how you personally studied for VR. I was not able to finish this section during the actual test and found myself having to guess questions for the last passage. My reading speed is an issue but also my comprehension in general.

I was originally gunning for the M.D/Ph.D program but now I am not sure whether that is still an option for me. Would it make any difference if I had obtained a Ph.D first before going into med school?

Hey everyone, I took the MCAT during the August 27 sitting and received my scores back just recently. Unfortunately they are ever so skewed:

13/8/13 (PS/VR/BS). Overall = 34!

There aren't any seatings in Toronto for the old MCAT. I have been trying to look at medical school requirements as UofT is now out of the question with their 9/9/9 hard cutoffs. Are there any schools that would still accept a low score in Verbal Reasoning? I haven't had any luck in finding concrete MCAT requirements other than UofT's.

I will try to find a seat for the old MCAT, so I would also like to ask how you personally studied for VR. I was not able to finish this section during the actual test and found myself having to guess questions for the last passage. My reading speed is an issue but also my comprehension in general.

I was originally gunning for the M.D/Ph.D program but now I am not sure whether that is still an option for me. Would it make any difference if I had obtained a Ph.D first before going into med school?

when would you be applying? Obviously you are just past this years app date - are you planning on retaking the test?

western's cut offs are posted but change each year so look for them in Jan as a guide. Ottawa doesn't used it, Mac considers only the VR section this year, and queens doesn't state it but is widely accepted the VR must be above 8. That is just Ontario of course :)

I am applying next cycle, during my fourth year at UofT. From my own understanding, I can apply to UOttawa and Mac, but for the latter, your actual VR score plays a large role. I don't mind applying out of Ontario but considering OOP requirements only get higher, I still would not have the VR score to make the cut.

I believe it would be best if I rewrote it. I doubt I can maintain the 13 in both PS and BS, but having a decent score in VR should be valued more than a 13 in the other sections, no?

I may have normally been okay with this score, but I'd like to keep the mindset that med schools make no exceptions to their cutoffs. And by that statement alone I can't find myself able to apply anywhere.

I am applying next cycle, during my fourth year at UofT. From my own understanding, I can apply to UOttawa and Mac, but for the latter, your actual VR score plays a large role. I don't mind applying out of Ontario but considering OOP requirements only get higher, I still would not have the VR score to make the cut.

I believe it would be best if I rewrote it. I doubt I can maintain the 13 in both PS and BS, but having a decent score in VR should be valued more than a 13 in the other sections, no?

I may have normally been okay with this score, but I'd like to keep the mindset that med schools make no exceptions to their cutoffs. And by that statement alone I can't find myself able to apply anywhere.

plus you are quite close to the score you need for Toronto. Getting an 8 to a 9 is an achievable goal - and often people don't really study well for the VR, a section they often actually are weakest in due to their limited backgrounds in academic assessment of essays. Of course I don't know your specifics - I am just speaking in generalities :)

also the requirements may be overall higher elsewhere but that doesn't mean they use the mcat in the same way. Still for your goals taking it again seems logical and you have the time etc since you are applying a year from now.

Right now the VR section is arguable the most important section on the test because the med schools are looking for something new to measure - GPA is already for most people a measure of their science background as most applicants come from those areas. VR is great because it is a new area to distinguish people from and there is some research from the US suggesting is the the better measure of future performance of an applicant. That research is open for debate I would say thought despite its use :)

plus you are quite close to the score you need for Toronto. Getting an 8 to a 9 is an achievable goal - and often people don't really study well for the VR, a section they often actually are weakest in due to their limited backgrounds in academic assessment of essays. Of course I don't know your specifics - I am just speaking in generalities :)

also the requirements may be overall higher elsewhere but that doesn't mean they use the mcat in the same way. Still for your goals taking it again seems logical and you have the time etc since you are applying a year from now.

Right now the VR section is arguable the most important section on the test because the med schools are looking for something new to measure - GPA is already for most people a measure of their science background as most applicants come from those areas. VR is great because it is a new area to distinguish people from and there is some research from the US suggesting is the the better measure of future performance of an applicant. That research is open for debate I would say thought despite its use :)

Thanks for being so responsive!

I will be trying to sit in again for Jan 2015 to re-take the MCAT, but it seems I may have to take it again during the summer. I hope restudying for the MCAT will play out more smoothly even with the new section because I may already have a research position lined up. However, I am not sure if I can manage the VR score that I need. On practice tests I mostly received 8's and 9's and could never get into the mindset I needed to approach these sort of questions. I can only attribute this to a childhood full of nothing but videogaming (/cough). Is there anything I can do to improve on VR? I figured just by arduous practice passages I could somehow get by, but it seems it wasn't enough for me.

Currently tabbing and reading any VR tip threads on the forums! Reading my MCAT score only provided me so much more stress.~

Thanks for being so responsive!

I will be trying to sit in again for Jan 2015 to re-take the MCAT, but it seems I may have to take it again during the summer. I hope restudying for the MCAT will play out more smoothly even with the new section because I may already have a research position lined up. However, I am not sure if I can manage the VR score that I need. On practice tests I mostly received 8's and 9's and could never get into the mindset I needed to approach these sort of questions. I can only attribute this to a childhood full of nothing but videogaming (/cough). Is there anything I can do to improve on VR? I figured just by arduous practice passages I could somehow get by, but it seems it wasn't enough for me.

Currently tabbing and reading any VR tip threads on the forums! Reading my MCAT score only provided me so much more stress.~

Message me if you like. I went up 4 points on my verbal the second time I wrote it, but when I first got my initial score, I thought it would have been impossible. I can at least try to give you insight on how I went about it. I can imagine what you must be going through...it's painful but that will diminish with time. 

I can relate ! I also wrote the 8/27 MCAT and got an 8 in VR. Planning to retake in January again. 

Message me if you like. I went up 4 points on my verbal the second time I wrote it, but when I first got my initial score, I thought it would have been impossible. I can at least try to give you insight on how I went about it. I can imagine what you must be going through...it's painful but that will diminish with time. 

Can I message you too? :( Any help regarding verbal would be amazing I'm struggling with this section ... I've done everything I possibly could but..

Alright! I sent you a message!

I can relate ! I also wrote the 8/27 MCAT and got an 8 in VR. Planning to retake in January again. 

Can I message you too? :( Any help regarding verbal would be amazing I'm struggling with this section ... I've done everything I possibly could but..

Mhmm! Looking around it seems I'm just one of many who had the same problem! Did you manage to get another seat? I don't know if I should take it 8AM at Ottawa, I've never traveled alone.

Alright! I sent you a message!

Mhmm! Looking around it seems I'm just one of many who had the same problem! Did you manage to get another seat? I don't know if I should take it 8AM at Ottawa, I've never traveled alone.

I registered for a seat out of province.. I will try to switch if a spot opens up if not, what can I do..

Archived