Premed 101 Forums

Calculating Gpa

Hi,

I applied to both U of A and U of C medicine this year and I had a GPA question. I have a bachelors and currently I'm in a professional program at the U of A. How will my grades from this years coursework affect the GPA used by U of A in my application? U of C?

Thanks!

Hi fudoc,

From what I understand (someone can correct me if I'm wrong) for U of A, the GPA from the current year isn't factored into the cumulative GPA that they use for the application. However, they do look to ensure that you are still meeting the minimum requirements when they get your transcripts after the fall and winter terms (3.3 if you're an in-province applicant).

I am not sure what U of C does, so someone else will have to answer that one.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Need to bump this - Are A+/A's at other universities considered a 4.0 when applying to Alberta's Medical program?

Would appreciate any insight on this.

I believe they are. I took some courses at University of Waterloo and it appears that they didn't use 3.9 for As as my GPA comes out higher than an OMSAS GPA would be.

I don't know exactly what conversion scale they use as I took courses at two other universities (in Alberta) as well. Someone that applied using only Ontario marks may have figured it out.

I believe they are. I took some courses at University of Waterloo and it appears that they didn't use 3.9 for As as my GPA comes out higher than an OMSAS GPA would be.

I don't know exactly what conversion scale they use as I took courses at two other universities (in Alberta) as well. Someone that applied using only Ontario marks may have figured it out.

Haha, that's amazing. Thank you for the feedback. 

Archived