Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invites Are Soon!

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was IP for Dal because I went to high school in NS (even after spending 15 months pre-applying in ON), but I think Dal really puts a lot of emphasis on the Maritime connection, while MUN is a lot more holistic.  If MUN has any preference for OOP, it might be related to rurality, but that's just a guess - the OOP's in our year, myself included, come from very different places in NS and Ontario.

Thank you. It eases my mind quite a bit. I was worried the MUN might simply look at MCAT or GPA to rank OOP, but now I'm assurred that my ECs are at least not terrible. BTW do you also happen to know how many OOPs they interview approximately?

Thank you. It eases my mind quite a bit. I was worried the MUN might simply look at MCAT or GPA to rank OOP, but now I'm assurred that my ECs are at least not terrible. BTW do you also happen to know how many OOPs they interview approximately?

If you got a MUN interview, then your EC's are not terrible :) Dal is...really picky in a strange way.  I don't know the exact number of OOP's - I do know that the afternoon cohort of 128 is mostly OOP's, so I'd say somewhere between 50-100 are probably invited, though again, I don't know for sure.

Okay, I'm not familiar with posting/replying on message boards here;) I'm a mature student as well Blackmarshroad..and I feel you're pain. I'm 32 and another year applying for me will seem like an eternety! I wish they would send the regrets out so people know..holding on to hope here but really not feeling too posative

I'm also a mature applicant. Not really coming from another career, but just worked on building my family before going to school. It's nice how many mature applicants there are! MUN seems to really look at life experience with the understanding that non-trads have a lot to bring with them to medicine.

I'm also a mature applicant. Not really coming from another career, but just worked on building my family before going to school. It's nice how many mature applicants there are! MUN seems to really look at life experience with the understanding that non-trads have a lot to bring with them to medicine.

good to know there are mature applicants in this process as well, I am a professional engineer and have been working on this application for quite some time now. It is good to know there are others who are not from the traditional undergrad/grad school route

Our class has lots of "non-trads" this year. We've got established nurses, accountants, lawyers, pharmacists, engineers and a physiotherapist off the top of my head, who all worked in their previous field for a period of time before coming here.  The class age ranges from 21-39, so MUN doesn't have anything against non-trads! :)

If you got a MUN interview, then your EC's are not terrible :) Dal is...really picky in a strange way.  I don't know the exact number of OOP's - I do know that the afternoon cohort of 128 is mostly OOP's, so I'd say somewhere between 50-100 are probably invited, though again, I don't know for sure.

wow...~5% admission rate even after interview...wow. Any tips you could perhaps share for the interview?

wow...~5% admission rate even after interview...wow. Any tips you could perhaps share for the interview?

The OOP wait list is about 10-15, and they usually go through the whole thing, so it's bit better than 5 seats, if that helps.  My best advice for interviews, the MMI in particular, is prepare.  Practice with friends, in front of the mirror, etc., with a timer, to know how long you are averaging.  As for a strategy, treat the prompt like a MCAT essay.  Thesis, antithesis, and synthesis. Start by paraphrasing the question back, state your position and 2-3 reasons why, and then state the opposing argument and 2 points of it, and finish with "but I support my position because..." Try to summarize your position again after the prompt questions, and if you find yourself repeating things in the body, stop and take a second to gather your thoughts.  Make sure you have a position on some obvious issues (euthanasia, etc) and look up some legalities (patient rights, age of consent, etc) and know the CanMEDS roles - name drop those roles when you can.  In the traditional, if you have any rural experience or connection, then mention it there.  Gesture with your hands as you talk to look engaged and make sure you have eye contact, because you can get red-flagged if you don't.  Have a suit (blazer and skirt is acceptable for ladies, or a professional dress) and look professional.  Other than that, just do your best, and try to be as confident as possible :)

Maybe they'll send more out this Friday? I applied last year and received and interview invite. I'm applying with essentially the same application so fingers crossed that I get another interview this year. Would be quite disappointed if I didn't.

Just wondering if those who haven't received an interview yet had been contacted by the admissions office about their application. I was contacted 2 weeks ago about one of my transcripts not being received, when really it had been 'scanned' at CaRMS. I'm wondering if this might have something to do with a delayed interview invite.

Archived