Premed 101 Forums

Why People Go To Dent In The Us?

I'm just wondering why people go to dent school in the US; the tuition is so high and has more requirements than the Canadian schools.

If you have the grades and the DAT score, don't you already have a shot at Canadian schools? 

If you don't, why can't you do further schooling (whether it's second UG or Masters degree) and then apply again in Canada? .. Or are the costs just the same as you not doing additional schooling and going straight to the US? 

I guess if you and your family can afford it, that's great- I might just be jealous, haha. 

It's the time issue. 

If you didn't get into a Canadian school on your first try but an American school accepted you, you go to the American school and graduate in 4 years. 

If you were to take further education i.e Master's you just essentially delayed working for 2 years as a dentist. 

Additional undergrad may be longer........

Time is money.

Also, I know a lot of people who actually chose to go to the U.S., to schools known for having a great clinical experience (certainly better than what you might get here in Canada). Also paritally because they received scholarships. I could've gone to Case Western for the same price as it's costing me here in Toronto thanks to a scholarship.

Time is money.

Also, I know a lot of people who actually chose to go to the U.S., to schools known for having a great clinical experience (certainly better than what you might get here in Canada). Also paritally because they received scholarships. I could've gone to Case Western for the same price as it's costing me here in Toronto thanks to a scholarship.

I wasn't aware that US schools offered scholarships to Canadians! Is this something that's common? Having case western's price = uoft's price must have meant you were offered a significant amount of money. Would you happen to know if the top tiers (ie. Columbia, Penn) offer similar scholarships to Canadians?

I wasn't aware that US schools offered scholarships to Canadians! Is this something that's common? Having case western's price = uoft's price must have meant you were offered a significant amount of money. Would you happen to know if the top tiers (ie. Columbia, Penn) offer similar scholarships to Canadians?

The top tiers are usually the ones that are most willing to offer scholarships. 

Although I ended up going to an Australian dental school, I think I share a similar experience to many of those who went to the US.  It's easy to say "just do more study" when you're under 25, have parents who are fairly young, aren't in a committed relationship, etc etc, but as someone said, it's an issue of time.  I was in the process of doing more study after I finished undergrad to boost my GPA to have a shot at Canadian dental schools, but got into an Australian school partway through.  Despite the high cost, I decided to go ahead with it because 1) my family was able to support me and I qualified for a line of credit (otherwise I wouldn't be here) 2) it was a guaranteed offer vs. me having to take another year of studies just to have a chance at getting an interview at a Canadian dental school.  I was tired of living in limbo, not knowing what was going to happen next.  If you look at it from a purely economic perspective, I agree that going to a Canadian school is the way to go.  However, my experience in Australia has revealed options that I would not have considered had I stayed in Canada. 

If I recall correctly it was $20k a year. That brought the cos down to nearly $40k. USD, of course.

I know NYU's academic scholarships are set at this amount as well, and Penn has a handful of full tuition scholarships (not instruments, books, fees, etc.), which amount to an even higher sum. So it's not outside the realm of possibility. 

If I recall correctly it was $20k a year. That brought the cos down to nearly $40k. USD, of course.

I know NYU's academic scholarships are set at this amount as well, and Penn has a handful of full tuition scholarships (not instruments, books, fees, etc.), which amount to an even higher sum. So it's not outside the realm of possibility. 

Nice. Do you know how they decide who to award these scholarships to? That's a really significant amount of money Case offered you.

How do you know if you are qualified for line of credit?

Just wondering but I highly doubt I or my parents would be qualified. 

Although I ended up going to an Australian dental school, I think I share a similar experience to many of those who went to the US.  It's easy to say "just do more study" when you're under 25, have parents who are fairly young, aren't in a committed relationship, etc etc, but as someone said, it's an issue of time.  I was in the process of doing more study after I finished undergrad to boost my GPA to have a shot at Canadian dental schools, but got into an Australian school partway through.  Despite the high cost, I decided to go ahead with it because 1) my family was able to support me and I qualified for a line of credit (otherwise I wouldn't be here) 2) it was a guaranteed offer vs. me having to take another year of studies just to have a chance at getting an interview at a Canadian dental school.  I was tired of living in limbo, not knowing what was going to happen next.  If you look at it from a purely economic perspective, I agree that going to a Canadian school is the way to go.  However, my experience in Australia has revealed options that I would not have considered had I stayed in Canada. 

How do you know if you are qualified for line of credit?

Just wondering but I highly doubt I or my parents would be qualified. 

Go ask your banker. If your parents' credit score qualifies for a line of credit for an international school, then going to Australia or the states is a possibility. Note that if you have an older sibling who already has a professional LOC that dropped your parents' previous credit score, chances are not too great (this was from my experience).

There are scholarships, but often they aren't advertised, and often it helps to ask when you interview, or after you interview. Especially if you have good stats, they are likely to want to keep you.

Yup, I got a scholarship to Penn Dental. They paid me half my tuition for each of the 4 years.. That was 30k discount off the price tag for each year. It ended up being cheaper than UBC for me. And I believe about 10k / year more than UofT or Western (my other option).

Archived