Premed 101 Forums

Study in US, Practice in Canada!

Guest ChrisJones

Guest ChrisJones

Hi everyone,

I've heard a lot on this topic... does anybody know for sure what the rules/regulations are?

If a Canadian goes to the US and completes his MD there, will Canada even consider you if you wanted to return and practice?

- no chance

- yeah you can practice

- yeah, but procedure to qualify is very tough... / what do you have to do??

Any insight from anyone who is informed on the topic would be great.

Thanks!

Guest Madz25

Take a look at some of the old topics in this forum and you'll find some good info.

Short version - yeah you can practice. As a US grad trying in Canada, you wont be given first preference in the residency match (which is given to Canadian grads). In the US, even though you'll be a US grad, there will be visa issues and US citizens/permanent residents will be preferred (unless you have a green card in which case it's not a big deal).

This is not to say it can't be done, it'll just be somewhat tougher (depending on the student).

I highly suggest that you take a few minutes to peruse some of the older threads.

Madz

• 1 month later...

currently, grads from US and CAD medical schools with CAD citizenship/perm res status match in the first round. "The match for 2007 for entry level postgraduate positions in all 17 Canadian medical schools will be offered in two iterations. The first iteration will include all graduating students and graduates from Canada, the US, and abroad who meet the eligibility criteria of CaRMS."

Take a look at some of the old topics in this forum and you'll find some good info.

Short version - yeah you can practice. As a US grad trying in Canada, you wont be given first preference in the residency match (which is given to Canadian grads). In the US, even though you'll be a US grad, there will be visa issues and US citizens/permanent residents will be preferred (unless you have a green card in which case it's not a big deal).

This is not to say it can't be done, it'll just be somewhat tougher (depending on the student).

I highly suggest that you take a few minutes to peruse some of the older threads.

Madz

Wait, so does that mean if I do go to the US, I could still get first round matching because I'm a Canadian?

I'm really unclear about that point... and would the fact that I would be coming from a US school make me less competitive in residence matching?

I really am hoping to do med school in Canada, but the US is always an option because it seems to give applicants a slightly better chance of acceptance.

Ontario is allowing international grads to participate in the first round of CaRMS. So yes, if you go the US, you will be able participate in the first round. However, I think preference will still be given to Canadian graduates (ie. US grads may be - well, probably will be - at a disadvantage).

edited: bad grammar!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Ontario is allowed international grads to participate in the first round of CaRMS. So yes, if you go the US, you will be able participate in the first round. However, I think preference will still be given to Canadian graduates (ie. US grads may be - well, probably will be - at a disadvantage).

No - US grads have always been considered at par in the first round along with Canadian grads. US grads are not considered IMG. But as of this year international grads also will be considered equal to Canadians and allowed to apply in the first round. See: http://www.carms.ca/jsp/main.jsp?path=../Provincial

For most provinces there will be a parallel match, where spots in each specialty will be reserved for IMGs. So IMGs are not directly competing with Canadians. In Manitoba and Quebec IMGs will be considered completely equal to Canadians and will be directly competing for the residency spots.

As a Canadian med student I much prefer the Manitoba/QC policy of direct competition.

No - US grads have always been considered at par in the first round along with Canadian grads. US grads are not considered IMG. But as of this year international grads also will be considered equal to Canadians and allowed to apply in the first round. See: http://www.carms.ca/jsp/main.jsp?path=../Provincial

For most provinces there will be a parallel match, where spots in each specialty will be reserved for IMGs. So IMGs are not directly competing with Canadians. In Manitoba and Quebec IMGs will be considered completely equal to Canadians and will be directly competing for the residency spots.

As a Canadian med student I much prefer the Manitoba/QC policy of direct competition.

What's a parallel match?

Does that mean international students would only be competitive for spaces in QC and Manitoba?

Archived