Premed 101 Forums

Pre & Post Interview Formula

In the past, the figures floating around (unofficially) were 60% academic and 40% academic pre interview and unsure post interview. Given the ways Admissions has changed in the past cycle, I don't think it's wise to stick to these numbers. 

Best answer: No one outside Admissions really knows.

In the past, the figures floating around (unofficially) were 60% academic and 40% academic pre interview and unsure post interview. Given the ways Admissions has changed in the past cycle, I don't think it's wise to stick to these numbers. 

Best answer: No one outside Admissions really knows.

Given that the 2014 entering class' mean wGPA is 3.94, perhaps they've added more weight to academics? 

Given that the 2014 entering class' mean wGPA is 3.94, perhaps they've added more weight to academics? 

I would not bet on this. One thing we know is that the 2014 entering class had the 9/9/9 MCAT cut off enforced strictly for the first time. Other than that, there has always been a gradual increase in the entering class GPA so I wouldn't necessarily equate this to academics being weighted more strongly. Maybe, or maybe not.

Haha just hypothesizing. It's just that others have already pointed out the consistent increase in wGPA from 3.90 --> 3.92 --> 3.94 in the last two years. Before that it hovered around 3.89 +/- 0.01, so the 0.02 increase per year is relatively large. Are there any other statistics on the entering class GPA from other schools? If they also show the same rising pattern then that could indeed suggest greater overall competition or grade inflation

This GPA is for graduate and undergraduates right? Since graduate GPA tends to be lower doesn't that mean undergrad average GPA is close to 3.95 or 3.96? O.O grade inflation at its finest.

Not necessarily grade inflation. Average MCAT scores have been rising too. So has the average breadth and depth of experiences being reported by applicants. (as per Queens MD's assistant dean) 

Archived