Premed 101 Forums

F1 Visa Requirements?? AT PORT OF ENTRY OR CONSULATE??

Guest docbil

Guest docbil

Hi Guys,

I was filling out the F1 visa forms and tried to book an appointment for Toronto online and for some reason it told me that I don't need a visa appointment and I can go to any port of entry to get this done. IS THIS TRUE??? Can I go to consulate instead? Feedback and info would be great.

Thanks

BA

>:

Guest moo

Yes, just go to the airport or some land crossing when you enter the US with your I20 and financial documents in hand. They'll give you the F1 there.

Guest docbil

Thanks moo,

That is odd.. someone asked this question a while back and I told them they had to go to consulate. Now I have to find that person and tell them otherwise... I narrow it down to SDN or Here.

Thanks

B

• 2 months later...
Guest DoNair

What financial documents do you need to present at the airport to get your visa? Is it loan papers showing that you have a student loan?

Guest docbil

I actually went to the border, and all you need is the I-20 from the University or College and a valid passport (up to 4 years I think- the durration of your stay).

To get the I-20 you need to show the school proof of funding for the first year (at least mine, that is all they needed).

Guest docbil

You should take the loan papers with you, but mine did not ask me anything at all.

You have to go online and make the $100US fee payment and have proof of that. Also at the border they charged me 7$ or something like that.

Guest DoNair

What $100 payment are you talking about? Is there some fee that needs to be paid for the F-1 visa?

(I haven't gotten my I-20 form yet b/c my finances haven't been 100% finalized. SLU requires the 4 years tuition to be deposited into an escrow account before they will issue the I-20 form. They don't accept a letter from the bank saying that the funds are available. It's harder to get everything done this way, but what can you do....)

Do I need to show proof of my tuition deposit also?

Why do the border officials need to see proof of finances? The school won't issue the I-20 form until they have proof of finances anyways. Just curious...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DoNair

Do you guys have a URL from an official US gov't website that states that you can have the f-1 visa issued at the airport? I haven't been able to find such a statement anywhere. It just says to goto the consular office and make an appointment for a visa interview.

Guest docbil

I will try to reply..

I don't know were if anywere it said you can do it at the airport. But Pearson does have a US customs there were you check in and in theory pass into US area.

So you should be able to do it at the border. A safer thing to do is to drive to the closest crossing. If you are in TO that would be Niagra falls. Or up by kingston.

Guest docbil

Donair,

I don't think Canadians can go to consulate. I tried and they said.. no just go to any post of entry or crossing.

Did you resolve the previous questions you had?

100$US is a fee for F1 visa, plus the border asked me for 7 dollars as their fee.

In theory your I-20 is the one that confirms your finanaces, but I would take some papers with you, stating you have LOC or account.. or letter from parents or something. Just in case they ask. You need to take your passport for sure and your I-20 with you. ALSO PRINT OUT CONFIRMATION OF THE

100$US payed.

No need for proof of tuition deposit!!! Since this could be done just before starting.

GOod luck and hopefuly these finanacial problems were resolved already.

Guest DoNair

I got my I-20 form and have paid that $100 SEVIS fee (that was easy)

I think I got it all figured out in terms of what documents to take with me (SEVIS fee receipt, I-20, passport, financial docs). I just wanted official word that the airport customs is the place to get the visa. I live in Edmonton so driving to the border just to get the visa isn't really convenient.

I'll just phone the consular office and confirm it with them. I don't want to show up at the airport and then found out they changed some procedure because of homeland security.

Thanks for the help though. I guess I'm just getting paranoid about becoming an alien...

Guest DoNair

For any other Canadians that plan on studying in the US, here is the official statement from: www.amcits.com/student_ex...sa_usa.asp

Canadian Citizens do not need visas to study in the U.S. You do need to obtain an I-20 (or DS-2019) Certificate of Eligibility from the university that you plan to attend. At the time you receive the I-20 (or DS-2019) you will be registered with SEVIS, the student tracking system. You will be assigned a SEVIS number, and be required to pay a $100 registration fee.

When you cross the border to study you will need to provide the Officer at the port of entry:

1. Proof of identity and citizenship (a Canadian passport for example)

2. The original I-20 (or DS-2019) certificate

3. Proof that you have paid your SEVIS fee

4. Proof that you have the funds to pay for the school that you plan to attend

5. Proof of your ties to Canada

Archived