Premed 101 Forums

Doing Right?

Hi all, 

Looking to prepare for CASPer and I've heard reading Doing Right is a good idea. 

But...I don't have 80 bucks to spend on the book and I can't seem to find it in any libraries around. 

Does anyone know where I could get my hands on an online copy?

Thanks in advance!

Trying to steal an ethics book?

For real though  :blink:

Anyways, I don't know about how well it prepares one for the CASPer specifically, but it's reached legend status amongst premeds in terms of preparation for the MMI. Check your library, see if you can find a used copy etc. I've personally never read it, and instead got a cheaper alternative in the form of MSC medical's book and DVD set. 

For real though  :blink:

Anyways, I don't know about how well it prepares one for the CASPer specifically, but it's reached legend status amongst premeds in terms of preparation for the MMI. Check your library, see if you can find a used copy etc. I've personally never read it, and instead got a cheaper alternative in the form of MSC medical's book and DVD set.

This was the biggest waste of a book and dgd I bought all cycle. Do not recommend the MSC medical book, it is very slopping and the DVD's are a waste of time.

If your school has a career services building with it's own library, check that too. That's where they keep them at UW. 

If you can't find it, you can probably still find the framework it uses to discuss ethical problems. The rest of the book is pretty much further explanation and examples. 

I found this presentation that I think is pretty good: http://fhs.mcmaster.ca/ethics/documents/Faculty_Ed_Student_Q.pdf

It's framework is definitely longer than Doing Right's though. 

This was the biggest waste of a book and dgd I bought all cycle. Do not recommend the MSC medical book, it is very slopping and the DVD's are a waste of time.

Oh dear. Care to let me know as to why you feel so strongly about it? I honestly found it to be very helpful what with the questions to practice from and the examples of a good answer. It is a little sketch though lol

This resource is 10X more useful than Doing Right in my opinion. I used both for my interview prep

Edit: aquaisra you have excellent taste in tv shows

Thanks! It's nice to find a bunch of people who are also fans of ATLA on this forum

The MSC book is utter crap, especially for the price. It contains only a few cases where the author gives you an example of thought process. The rest of the book is just blank. I.e. one scenario on a page, 5 lines long, and the nest 2 pages are just blank lines. Pure fillers. Save your money. You won't learn anything from that book. I think that book is only good for people who have no idea what MMI are, and are short of time for a good preparation. The DVD's audio quality is so bad that your ears bleed.

IMO, Doing Right is amazing, but it goes too far for a premed.

I think you don't need to know much more than what's contained here:

https://depts.washington.edu/bioethx/topics/index.html

Archived