Premed 101 Forums

I Know This Get Posted A Lot But I Need Advice On Whether I Should Retake

Borax

Just got my scores back and I'm pretty miffed with VR. I've never gotten below 10 in all the practice tests but I somehow managed to get a 9 on the real deal.

My score is: PS:12, VR:9, BS:12

I'm a grad student, GPA ~3.92 (higher for some of the schools), tons of scholarships including NSERC, quite a few publications, and loads of volunteer work. I really don't want to have to rewrite since the only date available is Dec 6th and I'm defending my thesis around that time (ie. next to no time to study). What do you guys think? I figure Western and McMaster are right out of the question with this shittastic VR score.

Dude I just got my score back too.  12/8/12.  Don't really know what I should do either.  This was a 2nd retake and my verbal didn't improve.  Really thought I hit at least a 10 but I guess not.  I'd wait before signing up for another date, I'm sure more will open up in January, AAMC have been saying they're going to open more seats.

I'm in the same area.  If I decide to rewrite I'm going to be waiting until Jan dates open up.  Or keep checking today, I bet there were people who booked a spot incase they got a poor score and will drop them now that they got their score back.

Just got my scores back and I'm pretty miffed with VR. I've never gotten below 10 in all the practice tests but I somehow managed to get a 9 on the real deal.

I'm a grad student, GPA ~3.92 (higher for some of the schools), tons of scholarships including NSERC, quite a few publications, and loads of volunteer work. I really don't want to have to rewrite since the only date available is Dec 6th and I'm defending my thesis around that time (ie. next to no time to study). What do you guys think? I figure Western and McMaster are right out of the question with this shittastic VR score.

Cheer up! A lot of people would "kill" for a 9 in verbal.  You are def not out of the running for McMaster.. there are people with lower GPA than yours and the same MCAT score who got into McMaster this past year. Also, you made UofT's "newly" strict cut-offs and especially as a grad applicant, you still have a good chance! Western tend to be out of the question for a lot of people (because of the high  VR and BS score cut-off).

All it takes is just one school...

:)

If you're not SWOMEN, Western's out unfortunately. Queen's too, if you've applied there. Mac, however, is not out. You'll need a very strong CASPer, but your relatively high GPA keeps you in the running. You should still have a good shot at Ottawa and U of T (especially if you've got graduate work and a publication record).

A rewrite might help, especially if you think you can do better on the VR, but I wouldn't call it necessary either. It's probably not going to hurt to rewrite, especially with enough time to rewrite again on the off-chance your VR drops below U of T's threshold of 9. I'd say go for it, but don't stress about it too much either way at this point.

I got my score back today as well and ended up with a 12/9/13. I mean, 34 is a good score and I can't complain. But it's hard to be satisfied with that 9VR staring at me >.<

Wouldn't it be nice if they just looked at your overall score instead of each section separately. Anywho, best of luck in the application cycle!

Archived