Premed 101 Forums

How Much Can Casper Compensate?

Are you sure that McMaster looks only at the most recent MCAT?

Realistically, your chances are significantly lower, especially since your GPA is below average. However, CASPer still makes up 1/3 of the deciding factor in interview invites, your VR isn't too bad, so an amazing, superb, flawless CASPer may actually be sufficient to compensate for your low cGPA.

There was at least one person from premed101 who got an interview and eventually accepted last year; his/her stats were cGPA 3.48 and VR 11. Almost identical stats to yours. I think there is still a glimmer of hope, McMaster's CASPer is such a huge black box that I would go as far to say that almost anyone has a chance As long as they ace it.

Take a look at the stats for McMaster's 2017 class. There are people accepted with stats all over the place. And this is just for the acceptances, I'd imagine there were interview invites for people with even worse stats

If you take each of GPA, VR, and Casper as 33%, the highest I could have gotten out of 100 (99 actually) is about 90.7 and the lowest is 57.8. I got an interview this past year and was on the wait-list (and then got an interview) the year before. 

You're sitting at a 50.9 before Casper so the highest you can get is 83.9. 

I don't know what the cut-off is but I think I did well on the Casper and I'd assume it's probably above 80. Not impossible, but tough. 

This is based on a lot of speculation though! 

km2kenne, how are you arriving at these figures? Are you calculating it linearly (ie. your 14 VR is worth 14%, while a 10 VR is worth 10%?)

Unfortunately this isn't accurate, (otherwise you wouldn't be able to differentiate between say a 3.9 and 4.0 GPA very well, and since 8 is the minimum, everyone would get a minimum score of 8 whichis counterproductive). Instead, my next guys is that they use percentile scoring, i.e. if your score is greater than 90% of applicants (for example a 3.89 or something) you get .9*15% added to your score, ifyou're below average, such as 45th percentile (you would gain .45*15%, half of what you get with a 3.89).

This means you're 14 VR attempts to outweigh your GPA, since you dominate the VR category. You're likely receiving 15/15 for VR score, unless someone applies with a 15 (though that's exceptionally rare).

Furthermore, the score is technically out of 96, with +1 for a master's, +4 for a PhD.

I'm not 100% sure this is how they calculate it but I do feel this fits the data much better than a linear model.

--------

Candie - your stats are similar to mine, so I have to hope you can make up for it with CASPer! Don't forget that your graduate degree, if completed, gives you a boost as well.

I went to the open house this summer, and yes, they said it's still z-scoring. So basically from what I understand there is not an accurate way to calculate your chances.

I think people with very good GPA and MCAT scores have been rejected pre-interview before (from reading on these forums) which would hint that the casper can be very important.

I wrote it this morning, and I am wondering about this myself, because my GPA is not amazing. I don't know if it's just me, but I am having trouble imagining what sort of answers someone with a good GPA and verbal score could put to not get an interview, and what makes the difference between a good casper and a bad one.

Candie and MathtoMed, we are all in a similar boat. It's going to be a loooong wait to see about interview invites!

I went to the open house this summer, and yes, they said it's still z-scoring. So basically from what I understand there is not an accurate way to calculate your chances.

I think people with very good GPA and MCAT scores have been rejected pre-interview before (from reading on these forums) which would hint that the casper can be very important.

I wrote it this morning, and I am wondering about this myself, because my GPA is not amazing. I don't know if it's just me, but I am having trouble imagining what sort of answers someone with a good GPA and verbal score could put to not get an interview, and what makes the difference between a good casper and a bad one.

Candie and MathtoMed, we are all in a similar boat. It's going to be a loooong wait to see about interview invites!

No one can answer that question exactly (well possibly MacMed students since they are the one evaluating it...but they can't talk about it).

I would say the two main things that can make for a poor CASPER are the following: Unethical reasoning and not backing up your answer with valid points. If for every question you do not take a clear cut position, that would lead to a poor score. If they ask you a question, you need to answer the question.

This last point is probably the big thing....a lot of people will analyze the situation well but won't have time to take up a position (generally it is better to start off with your position to avoid this).

Archived