Premed 101 Forums

Any Chance Of Me Getting Accepted To American School?

Dan88

Hi Could you guys please provide some insight about my situation.  

I just got my MCAT score few days ago. 12 9 14 (PS V BS) 35 overall. This was the third time I have taken MCAT. Previous scores were 32, 33 respectably. I retook the test to raise that verbal, but it seems impossible to be done. 

My cGPA is 3.77(not so sure about sGPA)

I would say my EC is right around average. It consists of 2 years of volunteering at local hospital, shadowing of a dentist, club executive, some research, sports, etc. 

Obviously that 9 in verbal means that most Canadian schools are out of window, thus it seems U.S is the only option left.

Will I have a chance at U.S? At this point, I don't really mind about the 'tier's of the schools..

Thanks! 

It's pretty late now, you probably have a shot at DO but MD I don't know. If I were you I would just wait until May or June when applications open up next cycle and apply then, you will definitely get in somewhere given an early application. You don't need to settle for "low tier", just relax and wait until next cycle and you will have a lot more options. 

Just my 2 cents.

1. LizzyM score = GPA * 10 + MCAT = 72.7, put you right in the middle tier MD schools in USA.

2. Yes, the train for this cycle is leaving, don't jump in, start to prepare for next cycle, by

2.1 Open AMCAS account now - it's free, don't submit, just to understand all documents and essays that you need to prepare.

2.2 Prepare your schools list now - from Premed101's Canadian friendly American med schools, check each schools' website for requirements, rank them into 3 group,

1. The one you have small chance to get in, but you like to go there. Like Harvard, Yale, Columbia, etc.

2. The one in the middle tier, like Dartmouth, Case Western, Virginia, Penn State, etc.

3. The one you have very good chance to get in, if you didn't screw up your applications, like Albert Einstein, SUNY-upstate, New York Medical College, Oakland, Wayne State, etc.

I'll select 1 to 3 schools from tier 1,

3 to 8 schools from tier 2,

5 to 10 schools from tier 3,

But if you have money and time, I know a lot people applied to 20 to 50 schools.

2.3 Visit SDN, go through each schools, get this and last cycle's essays, start to write them now and ask your friends to edit them for you. Each school's 2nd application has different essays.

2.4 Each schools need different reference letters, you may need total 4 to 7 reference submit to AMCAS, each school gets different reference letters.

2.5 improve your ECs

2.6 improve your interview

3. Next May, first day open AMCAS account, submit primary application and transcripts/documents/letters in June,get verified by AMCAS and completed each school's 2nd applications in June/July, start to interview in August/September.

Just my 2 cents.

1. LizzyM score = GPA * 10 + MCAT = 72.7, put you right in the middle tier MD schools in USA.

2. Yes, the train for this cycle is leaving, don't jump in, start to prepare for next cycle, by

2.1 Open AMCAS account now - it's free, don't submit, just to understand all documents and essays that you need to prepare.

2.2 Prepare your schools list now - from Premed101's Canadian friendly American med schools, check each schools' website for requirements, rank them into 3 group,

1. The one you have small chance to get in, but you like to go there. Like Harvard, Yale, Columbia, etc.

2. The one in the middle tier, like Dartmouth, Case Western, Virginia, Penn State, etc.

3. The one you have very good chance to get in, if you didn't screw up your applications, like Albert Einstein, SUNY-upstate, New York Medical College, Oakland, Wayne State, etc.

I'll select 1 to 3 schools from tier 1,

3 to 8 schools from tier 2,

5 to 10 schools from tier 3,

But if you have money and time, I know a lot people applied to 20 to 50 schools.

2.3 Visit SDN, go through each schools, get this and last cycle's essays, start to write them now and ask your friends to edit them for you. Each school's 2nd application has different essays.

2.4 Each schools need different reference letters, you may need total 4 to 7 reference submit to AMCAS, each school gets different reference letters.

2.5 improve your ECs

2.6 improve your interview

3. Next May, first day open AMCAS account, submit primary application and transcripts/documents/letters in June,get verified by AMCAS and completed each school's 2nd applications in June/July, start to interview in August/September.

50 applications? Really?

Isn't Albert a mid-tier school too? Also I thought Penn State was somewhat a "safe" school.

Archived