Premed 101 Forums

Not allowed to re-apply to meds if granted deferral?

Guest Laughter is the Best Meds

Hi moo,

I just had a couple questions that I hope you could answer for me.

I was just granted my request to defer matriculation for one year at an American med school. When I received the notification by email the Admissions office told me that if I defer I cannot apply to any other med school for the 2007 entering class. Now my questions were are they allowed to do this and if so, would they know if I were to apply to Canadian med schools or do they only have access to the AMCAS system to check if I've applied to American med schools (since I have to re-apply as a deferred applicant on AMCAS anyways)?

Thanks!

They are definitely allowed to do this and may withdraw your acceptance from their school and notify the other school on AMCAS about this so you may end up with no acceptances. I'm not sure if they communicate with Canadian schools but I wouldn't risk it. It's pretty bad form to say you will defer (it's pretty much a commitment because they are holding a spot for you in next year's class) and then drop out for another school.

Guest TheGlassMan2k8

Moo,

If they dont communicate with canadian schools wouldnt it be logical to reapply to canada in hope of being granted acceptance, just based on the financial burden one has to incur if they go to the states?

I agree that its not fair to the school, but the american tuition is not fair to us.

My 2 cents say reapply in hopes of getting accepted to a canadian school.

My thoughts exactly Glass Man. It really isn't fair how much they charge us poor Canadians and how they consider us to be "foreign" only for tuition purposes

Guest thats hot99

seriously??

ask any international student in canada if they find it 'fair' that they get charged double [sometimes more] domestic tuition rates. that's just the way it is, when you're in a country that's not your own.

and anyway, its not like you are getting charged the 'special expensive tuition exclusively for canadian students'.... EVERYONE has to pay it [at private schools anyway, which is probably where you are accepted]domestic students are just able to get more help.

anyway, to answer your question: i'm pretty sure that technically, you can apply in canada, since cdn schools aren't on amcas. you should really check with amcas, though, cause you'd be mighty screwed if somehow they found out that you did apply elsewhere. did you apply to canadian schools this year, though? cause if you did and you didn't get in, i'd just take my acceptance and run with it....

Guest TheGlassMan2k8

Yes Seriously Dude!

Some of us would like to stay in canada based on the medical system here, what it stands for vs the states. One extra year isnt that much in the big scheme of things if you have a deferral.

Guest thats hot99

Dude! Awesome job at....... making statements that have nothing to do with the topic at hand?

The whole point of a deferral isn't to 'be given a chance to apply to other schools that you like more'

If the OP wants to stay in Canada that badly, instead of risking breaching the conditions of his deferral, he should probably just withdraw from the school and be free to do whatever he wants. I highly doubt the admissions office at the school where he's accepted is all that forgiving of opportunistic applicants who take advantage of the system, so if he were to get 'caught', he will almost surely lose an acceptance... and be in a @#%$ position when it comes time to reapply.

So, is a year that much time? Of course not. Is taking a year to reapply and possibly lose your acceptance worth it? Not in my book.

Guest TheGlassMan2k8

I believe that my statments were on topic.

Its not about the schools that you like more, I would go to wayne state over any canadian school because of the clinical experience I would gain and its very close to home. However, due to the cost of tuition its just not realistic if I have other options to persue. Plus I like what the canadian health care stands for, and canada in general.

But, why give up a spot in the states if you dont have to? Keep that school on ice for a year if you have something to do in the mean time etc...masters, job...and reapply to canada for one last time.

This is what I would do, if I knew for sure the two application systems dont share information. From what I know, they dont.

Guest TheGlassMan2k8

Roxy,

Yes I was granted a deferral from Wayne State but I was lucky enough to be accepted in Canada this year. My plan was to defer Wayne in hopes of finishing my masters and marticulating in Ontario next year. If not I was going to head to Wayne.

It is a loss of a year, but I did everything I could to defer for a year to keep my word to complete my masters degree.

Good luck.

I dont know for sure as to if they communicate.

Archived