Premed 101 Forums

Minimum Mcat - Clarification

Hi everyone,

I know this topic has been discussed on this forum time after time, however I want to ask for some clarification from any of you if possible.

Although UofT has explicitly changed their minimum to a 9, I still wonder if applicants with perhaps an 8 in a section would still have a chance at this being overlooked. My reasoning for assuming this is because if you check out this link it indicates that "scores below the minimum will jeopardize the success of the application". I get that the cutoff is now strict, but I question why their wording doesn't explicitly mention "disqualification" of an application or something more final. An application being "flagged" or jeopardized" doesn't sound as final as some people may think, in my opinion.

http://www.md.utoronto.ca/admissions/information/requirements/Academic/MCAT.htm

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated as I received an 8 in verbal, and I'm not sure if I should bother submitting my supplemental application package (graduate student) or not even bother.

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

I know this topic has been discussed on this forum time after time, however I want to ask for some clarification from any of you if possible.

Although UofT has explicitly changed their minimum to a 9, I still wonder if applicants with perhaps an 8 in a section would still have a chance at this being overlooked. My reasoning for assuming this is because if you check out this link it indicates that "scores below the minimum will jeopardize the success of the application". I get that the cutoff is now strict, but I question why their wording doesn't explicitly mention "disqualification" of an application or something more final. An application being "flagged" or jeopardized" doesn't sound as final as some people may think, in my opinion.

http://www.md.utoronto.ca/admissions/information/requirements/Academic/MCAT.htm

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated as I received an 8 in verbal, and I'm not sure if I should bother submitting my supplemental application package (graduate student) or not even bother.

Thanks!

I called them regarding this (getting an 8 in one section). They said based on the number of applications they have been receiving, it's "highly unlikely" that they will review the case and the chances are "very slim" but "not necessarily a rejection".  

I called them regarding this (getting an 8 in one section). They said based on the number of applications they have been receiving, it's "highly unlikely" that they will review the case and the chances are "very slim" but "not necessarily a rejection".

^ this is how they get your money for applying?

If they took the time to change the rule from a sort cutoff to a strict cutoff it pretty much means you are out of luck if you have an 8. Why would they change their website and keep doing the same thing they have been doing.

^ this is how they get your money for applying?

If they took the time to change the rule from a sort cutoff to a strict cutoff it pretty much means you are out of luck if you have an 8. Why would they change their website and keep doing the same thing they have been doing.

As OP mentioned, it doesn't say on their website that your application will automatically get rejected. I think by updating their website, they are trying to be more transparent. Anything above 9/9/9 is the same, anything below WILL hurt your application significantly. That's all I can understand from their website.

I think if for some reason they don't receive many "qualified" applicants, they might start looking into those people who have scored slightly below their minimum but as the lady told me, it's going to be very unlikely, though not impossible.

As OP mentioned, it doesn't say on their website that your application will automatically get rejected. I think by updating their website, they are trying to be more transparent. Anything above 9/9/9 is the same, anything below WILL hurt your application significantly. That's all I can understand from their website.

I think if for some reason they don't receive many "qualified" applicants, they might start looking into those people who have scored slightly below their minimum but as the lady told me, it's going to be very unlikely, though not impossible.

What you have just mentioned is what it has been in the past. I am pretty sure the part saying it will jeopardize your application is just an artifact because it was most definitely on the website last year. I personally don't understand why they would have changed the website if they are doing what you are describing since that is what it was in the past. Also, there is no way that this cycle will be less competitive then the previous cycle. Every year has gotten more competitive based on published stats. 

Archived