Premed 101 Forums

Place For Stuff During Interviews?

I'm about to make my reservation for accommodations and I realized I'm going to have to check out before I go to my interview unless I book a second night.

I'll have my backpack with me in that case. Will there be anywhere somewhat secure - like an attended vestibule - to leave my bag during the interview morning? It will have my valuables in it so I don't just want to leave it out in the open.

Many hotels and B&Bs will let you leave your luggage in their lobby or locker room even after you "check out". You can come back to pick it up later in the day.

yup never actually ran into one that didn't do that actually (and I have been at a lot of hotels) - for the very reason that you often are in town the next day.

I'm about to make my reservation for accommodations and I realized I'm going to have to check out before I go to my interview unless I book a second night.

I'll have my backpack with me in that case. Will there be anywhere somewhat secure - like an attended vestibule - to leave my bag during the interview morning? It will have my valuables in it so I don't just want to leave it out in the open.

Your stuff should be placed in an a bag with your name on it (and you get a ticket for it) at MUN.  If you have more stuff, like a bag or a suitcase, I'm sure that they'll have a room for it where someone will be watching the stuff.  I left my purse there last year and it was in a secure room they took us to when the interview was over.

Your stuff should be placed in an a bag with your name on it (and you get a ticket for it) at MUN. If you have more stuff, like a bag or a suitcase, I'm sure that they'll have a room for it where someone will be watching the stuff. I left my purse there last year and it was in a secure room they took us to when the interview was over.

I can't keep my purse with me?

Not from station to station at the MMI, and not in the traditional. Trust me, with all the moving around in the MMI, you don't want to be lugging anything around with you!

Will they allow me to keep something with me? I know I can't take my phone, but I do not like to be without my salbutamol as having an asthma attack randomly can be rather embarrassing and I get worse quite quickly without it, particularly in the colder months. I don't like making an issue of it, but I suppose I'll have to get some permission ahead of time. None of the suits I bought have pockets.

Will they allow me to keep something with me? I know I can't take my phone, but I do not like to be without my salbutamol as having an asthma attack randomly can be rather embarrassing and I get worse quite quickly without it, particularly in the colder months. I don't like making an issue of it, but I suppose I'll have to get some permission ahead of time. None of the suits I bought have pockets.

I can't see it being a problem. Everything else you will have to check (they have a coat/item check set up first when you go in). They are really strict about what you can bring in, but meds won't be an issue. I remember having to check my watch and wallet. :P

I can't see it being a problem. Everything else you will have to check (they have a coat/item check set up first when you go in). They are really strict about what you can bring in, but meds won't be an issue. I remember having to check my watch and wallet. :P

wow, that is strict :) never had another place do that to me.

I'd say talk to someone ahead of time anyways, just so it's already clear on interview day.  I'm sure it won't be a problem, but you want to make that day less stressful, not more! Also, maybe try to find a way not to have to carry it in your hands, because you don't want to have to go back and get something on a track, and they like it when you come in and shake hands (so putting stuff down interferes with the intro rhythm).  It's super nit-picky, but pockets might be a worthy investment there :)

Does anyone know how many PEI applicants are interviewed approximately? Just curious!

There were 22 last year, I was told. I expect there will be about the same this year. I'm trying to find any of them who are flying out from Halifax on the 14th since I want to carpool.

There were 22 last year, I was told. I expect there will be about the same this year. I'm trying to find any of them who are flying out from Halifax on the 14th since I want to carpool.

Wish I could help but I'll be in St. Johns from the 7th until interviews. If I hear of someone looking to carpool I'll let you know!

All I can say is to expect to bring nothing with you. Last year they were super strict.. I didn't even have my chapstick! No purses, no briefcases, no suitcases, no paper,.. nothing. Thus, if you can, bring nothing with you (or leave major valuables at home). For those who can't avoid it, you check all your items with admissions and there is someone there who monitors everyone's belongings during the whole process. I recall last year there were OOP students who checked their baggage and it was a non issue! Most of us didn't even bring in water.. they provided it for you!

Archived