Premed 101 Forums

U of T students and AMCAS

Guest xylem33

Guest xylem33

Please, anyone who did their undergrad at Toronto and used AMCAS - I need ur help. There are some things that really confusing me - non U of T people, you can help me out as well if you understand the questions I have. This is what I submitted to AMCAS and I got a really unhelpful answer (they only answered the first question!)

I have the following questions:

My transcript (U of Toronto), does not list credit hours - it notes that Canadian institutions give 6 hours for full yr and 3 hours for half yr credits - A) should I fill out the "credit hours" field based on this assumption? B) I have some courses with lab components included and my transcript does not separate the lab component from the course itself, the

instructions ask that my registrar attach an explaination to the transcript: what should I ask my registrar to explain? C) Related to B, if my course is worth 3 semester hours, does that mean the lab component of that course counts as 3 semester hours of lab work?

Question about "year in school", my progress through undergrad was untraditional and these designations are based on what U of Toronto considered "year of study" according to number of credits earned. This is how my "year in school" looks on the AMCAS form and I wanted to know if this

is acceptable by AMCAS because I know it seems strange.

01-02 Fall: FS

01-02 Spring: FS

02-03 Fall: Soph

02-03 Spring: Soph

03-04 Summer: Soph

03-04 Fall: Soph

03-04 Spring: Junior

04-05 Fall: Junior

04-05 Spring: Senior

05-06 Summer: Senior

05-06 Spring: Senior

05-06 Spring: Senior

I will be using my OAC english credit to meet prerequisites for some schools - however, this credit was not transfered onto my university transcript. According to the instructions, I should list my highschool under "colleges" attended, however, for the field that asks for "program type", it does not

list anything appropriate for OAC because it was not undergrad or grad work and I don''t know if it is considered "Junior College". What should I do?

Lastly, it says that I do not need to provide AMCAS with a transcript but if I am using this credit to meet admission requirements, doesn''t that mean I need to provide a transcript? If so, do I send the highschool transcript to

AMCAS or the individual schools?

Guest Madz25

I can help with some of your questions. (I also attended UofT)

A) You can fill in credit hours based on FCEs. ie. 0.5 or 1.0 - that's what I did and it was fine.

B) I didn't add any explanation from the Registrar's office regarding lab components and I met all the requirements for each school I applied to. I had no problems whatsoever.

C) Semester hour = # of hours of lecture time + 1hr for lab time. For example, if the course has 2 hours of lecture/week and a 3 hr lab, semester hours = 2 + 1 = 3 ..just put down 0.5/1.0 based on however many FCEs the course is worth and it'll be fine.

I realize some schools have a 4/8 semester hour system as opposed to the 3/6 one. When I was filling out the secondaries for the 4/8 schools I put down half courses as 4 and full courses as 8 and I had no problems (for other schools I put down half courses as 3 and full ones as 6).

Have you tried calling AMCAS with your other questions?

Madz

Guest xylem33

No - I was going to call them as the next step. Thanks - so I'm still a bit confused - so when you listed the courses, u know how there's the course number, name, credit hours - as an example: BIO150Y, Organsim in Environ, (here): did u put 1.0 or 6?

Guest redbluegreen2006

Hi,

I was also confused about the format for fs ( 1st yr), sop( 2nd yr), jr ( 3 rd yr), sr ( 4th yr)? were u able to get amcas to confirm this?

Also how were you able to get approval for using high school english? does that count as 3 units or 6?

Let me know if you are able to get any info regarding this.. thx..

R

btw..i had called amcas regarding credit hrs..they said put it as stated in your transcript..credit units are considered credit hrs..and they would convert our units to their scale taking into account if you checked if they had lab components..

Guest Madz25

BIO150Y - I would put it down as 1.0 (that's what I did for the equivalent course I did at UTSC). AMCAS will take care of it themselves when they verify your application. No need to worry about it.

For the freshman/sophomore/junior thing...mine was easy because I did a full course load each semester. It'll be different for everyone depending on how many courses you did. Here is an example IF you took a full course load:

1st year - freshman

summer b/w 1st and 2nd - sophomore

2nd year - sophomore

summer b/w 2nd and 3rd - junior

3rd year - junior

summer b/w 3rd and 4th - senior

4th year - senior

That's how mine worked out to be because I took a full course load during the school year and did 2.5 FCEs over 2 summers.

Hope this helps.

Madz

Guest xylem33

thanks a lot for that info - i don't know what to do about the oac english thing yet but i'm going to give them a call.

• 1 month later...
Guest red like blood

hey just a question for you uoft ppl.. what did you guys to to fufill the 1 yr general chm with lab? I've taken chm139H..and wanted to take chm220 but that doesn't have a lab.. the only other gen chm with lab is a full yr... and I just need half..

did the schools accept chm220 or chm217?

thanks for any help!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest xylem33

yes, some schools accept chm220, some won't - but majority understand that if that's the curriculum at our school, then it's all good.

Guest alexshim

I did not know we can use OAC english as a pre-req...? is that true... cuz I am taken summer school english now...to meet the pre-req... and would gladly drop it heh..

Archived