Premed 101 Forums

Papers/presentations On Cv

johnny_doe

Just wanted to ask about some general conventions...

1) If you're second author on a project, do you generally put yourself first when you submit an abstract for presentation? That's what I've been doing (not on my own...the PhD student told me to do so).

2) If I'm an author on an abstract submitted to a conferece, but I wasn't the one presenting, can I still put that on my CV?

Thanks!

1) Projects don't have authors, they have investigators. While there should be a general idea of who is responsible for what within that project, there really isn't an "order" of investigators (though most will typically have a primary investigator or set of investigators responsible for the overall project). When you go to present work from that project - whether it's an abstract for presentation, a journal publication, or whatever - the author order should represent who was primarily responsible for producing that presentation with considerations for roles within that project. And different presentations from the same project can have different author orders depending on the nature of the presentation. So yes, if you're producing an abstract for presentation and your co-authors agree that you should be first author, then you should be putting yourself first.

2) If you're on the author list, you certainly can as long as you don't misrepresent your role (i.e. don't imply you were the one presenting). As a non-presenter, and presumably not someone supervising the overall project, it's probably not going to count for much, but there's nothing wrong with taking what credit you were given for working on that abstract.

1) Projects don't have authors, they have investigators. While there should be a general idea of who is responsible for what within that project, there really isn't an "order" of investigators (though most will typically have a primary investigator or set of investigators responsible for the overall project). When you go to present work from that project - whether it's an abstract for presentation, a journal publication, or whatever - the author order should represent who was primarily responsible for producing that presentation with considerations for roles within that project. And different presentations from the same project can have different author orders depending on the nature of the presentation. So yes, if you're producing an abstract for presentation and your co-authors agree that you should be first author, then you should be putting yourself first.

2) If you're on the author list, you certainly can as long as you don't misrepresent your role (i.e. don't imply you were the one presenting). As a non-presenter, and presumably not someone supervising the overall project, it's probably not going to count for much, but there's nothing wrong with taking what credit you were given for working on that abstract.

1) Ah okay...I meant more like it is understood/agreed upon that on the actual manuscript, I would be second author. Thanks for the info!

2) How do I indicate which abstracts I presented and which ones I didn't?

1) Ah okay...I meant more like it is understood/agreed upon that on the actual manuscript, I would be second author. Thanks for the info!

2) How do I indicate which abstracts I presented and which ones I didn't?

If you give a description in your CV about your academic presentations, that would be a good place to briefly indicate your specific role. Another simple way would be to list it as an abstract rather than a presentation - basically, take credit for the accepted abstract rather than the presentation it was accepted for.

Archived