Premed 101 Forums

Wd Courses For 3/5 Rule

Just to clarify, it exists on my transcript as a "WD", but has no grade assigned to it. Are you sure or maybe I should contact someone at western to make sure? I haven't picked my courses yet

well I would always recommend contacting the school for anything important like that no matter who you are talking to on the forum etc :)

that being said this WD situation is a common one that comes up over and over and I don't want to sound too wishy washy either, particularly because it can take quite awhile to hear from the overloaded schools!

First you won't even enter the course in your application through omsas (that is how little anyone cares about this)

(source, omsas faq):

Common Questions When completing my academic record, how do I treat a withdrawn course?

If you withdrew without academic penalty (i.e., you withdrew within the stated deadlines), do not enter the course at all.

If you were assigned a penalty (i.e., the course shows on your transcript with a “fail” or “incomplete” notation), you should enter the course with a failing grade.

and this is the common understanding for all schools actually. No one cares about courses that there was no academic penalty for.

second I personally withdrew from courses I then took later (scheduling conflicts), and of course know quite a few that have done the same - and I am a graduate of the school of course. No issues at all.

third no one on this forum has ever reported a problem with doing so that I am aware of, basically going back as far as the forum history extends :)

Thanks, I will certainly contact Western in the future. Just a quick question though:

I'm still confused by the usage of the term "academic penalty". At my school, there are 3 deadlines, the first deadline, it won't show at all, in the second deadline, it will show on the transcript as a "WD", and in the third deadline, it will show as a "WF - withdrawn failed", with a 32% grade assignment.

When it's talking about "academic penalty", are they including cases in which it appears on your transcript as a WD (second deadline), or cases in which it doesn't appear on the transcript at all (first deadline)?

EIther way, thanks for your help, like I said I will contact Western at some point

Thanks, I will certainly contact Western in the future. Just a quick question though:

I'm still confused by the usage of the term "academic penalty". At my school, there are 3 deadlines, the first deadline, it won't show at all, in the second deadline, it will show on the transcript as a "WD", and in the third deadline, it will show as a "WF - withdrawn failed", with a 32% grade assignment.

When it's talking about "academic penalty", are they including cases in which it appears on your transcript as a WD (second deadline), or cases in which it doesn't appear on the transcript at all (first deadline)?

EIther way, thanks for your help, like I said I will contact Western at some point

academic penalty means that there is an actual grade assigned to the course - WD don't count. Most schools a WF is converted to a 32% or similar in the actual percentage calculation at the school and that negatively impacts your average overall of course :) WDs don't, they are just courses you decided not to take basically. 

that exactly why you don't bother to even enter WDs into the OMSAS application system which ultimately is how a school computes your GPA etc. They just don't count.

Archived