Premed 101 Forums

Staying Overseas To Practice Medicine

Hi. So I am a Canadian pre-med student, and while I very much hope to get into a Canadian medical school I have to acknowledge the very real possibility that even though I might be a solid applicant, I won't get accepted to any schools here like hundreds if not thousands of other solid applicants (since there is such a limited amount of seats available). So I was looking into international medical schools. I am looking at different schools in Ireland, Germany and Hungary. That being said, I hear that it's very difficult for IMG's to get residency spots here in Canada. But what if I didn't want to come back to Canada? I can get citizenship to a country in the EU based on my ancestry, so I could just stay in the EU and practice medicine there right? I wouldn't necessarily have to come back to Canada. 

Anyone here have any more info on this or has done this/know anyone who has done this? 

Yes, you can. I think most countries will keep you there after you became a doctor there, not kick you out.

Duke-NUS is Duke's MD program in Singapore with NUS, Singapore will give you scholarships and loan to complete your MD, and Singapore try very hard to keep you there after you became a MD.

Yes, you can. I think most countries will keep you there after you became a doctor there, not kick you out.

Duke-NUS is Duke's MD program in Singapore with NUS, Singapore will give you scholarships and loan to complete your MD, and Singapore try very hard to keep you there after you became a MD.

Actually no, it really depends on the country. I say this because most English speaking programs are set up to cater to NA student wanting to go back to NA for residency. If you can get into a UK school, you're set for residency there. Ireland and Australia - fat chance if You dont have citizenship.Other countries are out of my realm, but I've heard Poland is hard for internationals.

You'll have to really contact all the places and find out real information. Do note that you would effectively closing the door on ever coming back to North America. Unless you get residency training in FM in UK, Ireland and maybe Australia, as their is reciprocity to an extent from what I've read.

If you can get EU citizenship, then it is a whole different ball game. Make sure you get it first and then look into it. Even if you get the citizenship, some countries have specific rules about actually living there for a certain amount of time before you can reap benefits etc.

When I said Yes you can, I meant most countries or some countries, not ALL countries.

For examples:

1. Canada - when international students accepted into Canadian MD schools and graduated, they can applied Canadian permanent residence without leaving Canada, Immigration Canada has a special door for them called "Canadian experience class",

Because we want them to stay in Canada.

2. USA - Canadian accepted into American MD school and graduated, if you want to stay in USA to get your green card, not that difficult.

3. Singapore - it's Duke, it's NUS, if you graduated, Singapore gov try 120% to keep you there.

4. EU - not in my radar. If they accepted you but don't want to keep you there after residences, they just want your money, don't go there.

Actually no, it really depends on the country. I say this because most English speaking programs are set up to cater to NA student wanting to go back to NA for residency. If you can get into a UK school, you're set for residency there. Ireland and Australia - fat chance if You dont have citizenship.Other countries are out of my realm, but I've heard Poland is hard for internationals.

You'll have to really contact all the places and find out real information. Do note that you would effectively closing the door on ever coming back to North America. Unless you get residency training in FM in UK, Ireland and maybe Australia, as their is reciprocity to an extent from what I've read.

If you can get EU citizenship, then it is a whole different ball game. Make sure you get it first and then look into it. Even if you get the citizenship, some countries have specific rules about actually living there for a certain amount of time before you can reap benefits etc.

And living there as not a student I might add :)

If you get EU citizenship it should be fine actually. The living there not as a student generally applies to those who want to pay local tuition fees. So even if you are an EU citizen, if you haven't lived in the EU for something like 2-3 years prior to entering the school the schools in the UK and Ireland will charge you international fees. 

However, once you graduate as long as you are an EU citizen who did medical school in the EU you are allowed to apply to anywhere in the EU for residency. For the UK, they allow their own UK medical school grads to apply for foundation and residencies but only allow EU grads to apply if they are EU citizens. 

So OP, if you have EU citizenship its worth taking a look at it. I would choose a country like Ireland or UK preferably because of the English speaking population, but they are also the most expensive so you'll have to weigh it. Germany is cheaper but unless you speak and write university level German you will have a difficult time applying. 

When I said Yes you can, I meant most countries or some countries, not ALL countries.

For examples:

1. Canada - when international students accepted into Canadian MD schools and graduated, they can applied Canadian permanent residence without leaving Canada, Immigration Canada has a special door for them called "Canadian experience class",

Because we want them to stay in Canada.

--> Not really a relevant example since most Canadian schools don't take internationals. But I agree nonetheless about the CEC. 

2. USA - Canadian accepted into American MD school and graduated, if you want to stay in USA to get your green card, not that difficult.

--> Yes, very viable option. Between the j1 and the h1b, it is manageable. Not to mention if you do a residency in the US that is accredited, you can come back to Canada nad practice with a few hoops to jump.

3. Singapore - it's Duke, it's NUS, if you graduated, Singapore gov try 120% to keep you there.

4. EU - not in my radar. If they accepted you but don't want to keep you there after residences, they just want your money, don't go there.

---> Which is most of the carribean, EU and australian english speaking schools that have programs set up for Canadians/Americans.

If you get EU citizenship it should be fine actually. The living there not as a student generally applies to those who want to pay local tuition fees. So even if you are an EU citizen, if you haven't lived in the EU for something like 2-3 years prior to entering the school the schools in the UK and Ireland will charge you international fees. 

However, once you graduate as long as you are an EU citizen who did medical school in the EU you are allowed to apply to anywhere in the EU for residency. For the UK, they allow their own UK medical school grads to apply for foundation and residencies but only allow EU grads to apply if they are EU citizens. 

So OP, if you have EU citizenship its worth taking a look at it. I would choose a country like Ireland or UK preferably because of the English speaking population, but they are also the most expensive so you'll have to weigh it. Germany is cheaper but unless you speak and write university level German you will have a difficult time applying. 

Defer to Medstart's knowledge. 

I agree, if you can get EU citizenship, it is a whole different ball game!  If you can get into the UK it is your best bet, but if you can get into the UK - you can probably get into the US as well. 

I would look into country specific residency policies. It isn't as black and white as it may be. For ireland, the irish citizens get first crack and then it is a hiearchy level. If you have EU citizenship, you would be much better off than the other Canadians there who don't have EU citizenship - that is for sure.

• 1 month later...

Defer to Medstart's knowledge. 

I agree, if you can get EU citizenship, it is a whole different ball game!  If you can get into the UK it is your best bet, but if you can get into the UK - you can probably get into the US as well. 

I would look into country specific residency policies. It isn't as black and white as it may be. For ireland, the irish citizens get first crack and then it is a hiearchy level. If you have EU citizenship, you would be much better off than the other Canadians there who don't have EU citizenship - that is for sure.

Mostly right with one correction.  Throughout the EU all EU citizens are treated equally.  Irish citizens are not put ahead of other EU graduates.

Archived