Premed 101 Forums

Course Load For University Of Western Ontario?

Hello guys!

I need a suggestion for my situation:S

I am currently in my third year of the study at University of Toronto.

However, I have not taken a full course load for the last 2 years.

(First Year: 4.0 FCE // Second Year: 3.5 FCE // Second Year Summer: 1.0 FCE)

In this case, do I have a chance of applying year after my graduation using my 3rd and 4th year?

(I am going to take a FULL 5.0 FCE course load for this year and next year.)

Also, I went to UWO website and they show the % average of students who got accepted.

Are they using % instead of 4.0 GPA scale?

Finally, what would be a safe range of 2-year GPA and Canadian DAT scores to get?

Thank you!

Hi there, 

You do have a good chance at UWO if you do really well in 3rd and 4th year on a full course load, and apply after you graduate. But UWO does use your percent average, not GPA. I would say a safe average for your 2 best years would be 89%+ coupled with a 21 DAT. But your interview plays a large role as well. So those numbers are good for clinching an interview, not necessarily an acceptance.    

Hi there, 

You do have a good chance at UWO if you do really well in 3rd and 4th year on a full course load, and apply after you graduate. But UWO does use your percent average, not GPA. I would say a safe average for your 2 best years would be 89%+ coupled with a 21 DAT. But your interview plays a large role as well. So those numbers are good for clinching an interview, not necessarily an acceptance.    

Thanks for your reply!!

I went to the website and I thought I had no chance for applying..

Thank you for your info and letting me know the stats!!

I will try my best to maintain 89% + average I guess:)

By the way, is Canadian DAT significantly different than American DAT?

(I heard that only difference is Canadian RC time is shorter than American one..)

Also, what materials should I use for Canadian DAT?? (I already have bunch of materials for American DAT..)

Thanks!! 

No problem!

The American DAT is on a computer, whereas the Canadian DAT is on paper. The science section of the American DAT includes 30 extra questions of organic chemistry, and contains an extra section called quantitative reasoning (40 math-related questions) at the end of the exam. And yes, the American DAT gives you 10 extra minutes for the Reading Comprehension section. Furthermore, you can schedule to take the American DAT whenever is convenient, whereas the Canadian DAT is only held in February and November.

As for the materials, it doesn't matter. Materials for the American DAT will help you just as much as Canadian ones.

Hope this helps!  

No problem!

The American DAT is on a computer, whereas the Canadian DAT is on paper. The science section of the American DAT includes 30 extra questions of organic chemistry, and contains an extra section called quantitative reasoning (40 math-related questions) at the end of the exam. And yes, the American DAT gives you 10 extra minutes for the Reading Comprehension section. Furthermore, you can schedule to take the American DAT whenever is convenient, whereas the Canadian DAT is only held in February and November.

As for the materials, it doesn't matter. Materials for the American DAT will help you just as much as Canadian ones.

Hope this helps!  

Thanks! I have already took American DAT so I just wanted to know whether I need to prep for Canadian DAT separately :)

Thank you again~~

Hi there, 

WEighting-wise - the interview is worth far less than gpa at the end of the day. I talked to admissions and they said that even after the interview is complete, they go back and factor in the dat and gpa into their weighted equation and that gpa remains the heaviest weighted item.

WEighting-wise - the interview is worth far less than gpa at the end of the day. I talked to admissions and they said that even after the interview is complete, they go back and factor in the dat and gpa into their weighted equation and that gpa remains the heaviest weighted item.

Thanks for letting me know:)

hopeful42 is right. GPA is still more heavily weighted. But if you bomb the interview, or come across as very anti-social, it will definitely hurt your chances. That's all I was getting at. That's why people with 90's get waitlisted and people with 87's get accepted.

Thanks! You are so helpful  :lol:

Archived