Premed 101 Forums

Interview Appearance

Med30s

Bit of what might seem a strange question: I have heard from someone who assists applicants with school admissions that adcoms view clean-shaven men in a better light than those with facial hair (even if this is a subconscious discrimination).

I can understand that scraggly unkept beards or the I-haven't-shaved-in-5-days look is probably not a great idea, but is having a well kept, trimmed beard still risky?

Said person claims that adcoms are generally conservative and while they may not know they're doing it, may rank their first impression of you lower because you aren't clean-shaven.

The thing is it's really difficult to gauge whether this claim has any merit to it or not. What does everyone think? Keep it, or just shave because it's just for the interviews and might as well be on safe side?

Remember, after shaving your facial hair that you've maintained regularly, you WILL feel/look like a four year old.

Bit of what might seem a strange question: I have heard from someone who assists applicants with school admissions that adcoms view clean-shaven men in a better light than those with facial hair (even if this is a subconscious discrimination).

I can understand that scraggly unkept beards or the I-haven't-shaved-in-5-days look is probably not a great idea, but is having a well kept, trimmed beard still risky?

Said person claims that adcoms are generally conservative and while they may not know they're doing it, may rank their first impression of you lower because you aren't clean-shaven.

The thing is it's really difficult to gauge whether this claim has any merit to it or not. What does everyone think? Keep it, or just shave because it's just for the interviews and might as well be on safe side?

Remember, after shaving your facial hair that you've maintained regularly, you WILL feel/look like a four year old.

Our class is positively full of guys with beards.  That said, I have two ear piercings per lobe, and I aired on those side of caution and took the second one out for interviews, so up to you ultimately :)

Archived