Premed 101 Forums

Double-Checking Mcat Rules For Rewrite

Hey,

So I got my MCAT result today, and I applied to McMaster. My VR came out as a 10 (I was averaging much higher), and I was wondering what impact, if any, a rewrite would have.

For example, I am rewriting Dec 6th, so I will get my score back before the interviews are sent out. Let's take extreme examples:

- If I score a 1 or a 15 on my rewrite, does it have any impact on my application, or will they use the 10 the entire year? If I get accepted into the program, will they care that I wrote again in December?

the deadline for MCAT scores to be released is Nov 1st. I am pretty sure all scores after that day will not count, until the next cycle.

yeah it won't help you for this year unfortunately - to keep it fair and to give the schools enough time to process things they have to have a much earlier cut off.

Like the posters above said, your scores for this cycle were set. If I were you, I would hold on to that December 6th date and re-write the verbal section. The new MCAT in 2015 is going to have a section similar to the verbal, but not the same, as I understand. If you are testing higher on AAMC than the score you got, I would want to lock that in before the new test date. This is all for Mac only, and I would call them to confirm. But, I think they take the most recent verbal score, so if you can write in December and beat your last score, that will help next cycle.

Not to say you cannot or will not get an interview or acceptance with a 10, just that if you are scoring higher on practice, it's worth a few hours and a few hundred bucks to lock in a better score just in case.

Archived