Premed 101 Forums

Help With Casper Questions

Hi!

For some reason I am having a lot of difficulty answering this question at length, or even providing evidence for my decision. Any help would be great!

http://www.caspertest.com/purchasing-beer-at-a-concert/

PROMPT:  You are waiting in line to purchase some beer at a concert and the person next to you starts chatting and mentions that she forgot her identification. She asks if you could buy liquor for her and her friend. You think they may be underage.

QUESTIONS:

1. What are some of the ethical considerations that need to be taken into account in this situation?
  2. What is your decision? What circumstances would change your decision?
  3. What if you knew the individual personally, and knew her age. Would that affect your decision?

Thanks!

Hmm, I'll take a stab at it I guess.

What are some of the ethical considerations that need to be taken into account in this situation?

You have no idea what their background is, or how much experience they have with alcohol, so you may be putting them in a dangerous situation. Alcohol can also have negative effects on people who have not fully developed, one of many reasons why there is an age restriction in the first place. There would also be risk of you getting in trouble with the law for providing alcohol to a minor.

What is your decision? What circumstances would change your decision?

Politely decline. If she could somehow prove to me beyond a doubt that she was of legal age, that could potentially change my decision, although she would still be a stranger so I would be hesitant.

What if you knew the individual personally, and knew her age. Would that affect your decision?

If she was of legal age and had experience with alcohol, I would take that into consideration when deciding what to do.

This particular question, while in the style of a CASPer question, is very poorly constructed because not only does it feed you a particular opinion and immediately bias you ("you think they may be underage"), it then asks you an inconsistent question... Indeed if you knew them, then you would either know they are of age or that they are not... Meaning it comes down to whether or not you're willing to break rules (and in fact, the law).

Archived