Premed 101 Forums

Chances

I was under the impression that last year 11 or 12 on BS was used as a cutoff, but that it is a sliding cutoff based on each year's application pool.  I didn't apply to Queen's because of my 10 in BS.  If you do get an invite, I will have to look at applying for next year.

Good luck,

P

10BS was good enough to get an invite last cycle, and honestly for the past few that I've been watching

Edit: 4 people from premed101 were invited to interview last year with a 10BS

How important is the overall 32+ for the cutoffs? Is this a pretty hard cutoff, based on various sources or could it be another effect of the sampling bias on PM101? (I'm thinking it's the former, but still holding out hope hah) 

I wonder if it might be softer for grad students with every other part of the application being strong..?

How important is the overall 32+ for the cutoffs? Is this a pretty hard cutoff, based on various sources or could it be another effect of the sampling bias on PM101? (I'm thinking it's the former, but still holding out hope hah) 

I wonder if it might be softer for grad students with every other part of the application being strong..?

The 32 MCAT score cutoff is purely based on the forum. Queen's has never pronounced itself on what that cutoff is.

The way you should look into the various cutoff's for schools etc is to first go onto the school's website and figure out what they state...this is the official information (no one knows more then this...or else it would be posted on the website. If someone says they know more, either someone breached confidentiality, are misinformed, or are lying).

Afterwards you should go to premed101 to get information. Most of the information about undisclosed cutoffs are purely based on anecdotal evidence and stat compilation from users stats....none of this is confirmed by the schools.

Exactly what Aetherus said. It's based off what stats we have compiled through premed101 user. So while it may be slightly biased, we get a pretty good representation of what the lowest cutoffs were. But these cutoffs do change year to year, for example I don't think they have the +32 the year before?

• 2 weeks later...

When people say "meeting the cutoff" does that automatically mean invite for interview? People are putting a lot of emphasis on ECs at Queen's here, but I guess they're referring to the fact that these are important factors in the final decision right (with grades and MCAT dropped completely)?

After going through the interview invite/reject thread there seems to be people who had met these cutoffs but they were rejected? But this goes against what Queen's has on the FAQ page

"How much emphasis is placed on academic and how much on extracurricular activities?

Applicants are assessed in sequential steps.  The first steps are based on academic requirements - the GPA and MCAT scores.  Applicants who successfully make these cuts are invited for an interview and their academic marks are no longer considered in the admission process.  Those applicants are then assessed based on personal experiences and personal characteristics through an interview."

Nevermind I guess this was a glitch that happened last year? 

This wasn't a glitch. 

Essentially Queen's will evaluate you in sequential steps. First step is GPA, then MCAT and finally they look at Autobiographical sketch. They will invite people to interviews based on your autobiographical sketch ranking and will invite approximately 500 people to interview (4300 applied to Queen's last year).

so they select a minimum GPA/ MCAT that will screen out a certain number of applicants but the total will still be greater than 500, and then they narrow it down based on ABS. That doesn't seem to be the sequence that they describe in the FAQ but okay. Guess I don't get to feel more confident about reaching the next step at Queen's  :(

so they select a minimum GPA/ MCAT that will screen out a certain number of applicants but the total will still be greater than 500, and then they narrow it down based on ABS. That doesn't seem to be the sequence that they describe in the FAQ but okay. Guess I don't get to feel more confident about reaching the next step at Queen's  :(

I couldn't find the sentence, but it should say somewhere that hitting the minimum cutoff does not guarantee an interview. I would actually say that Queen's is the school who cares about EC's the most. 

The consensus on the cutoff is a 3.8 GPA and a 10-10-10 Cutoff for each section of the MCAT with a total score needed of (32-33). You then move on to the next step where you are assessed purely on your EC's.

I know the wait is hard, but try to stop thinking about it, stressing out right now won't help.

Archived