Premed 101 Forums

Rewrite?

zaxop

I got a 30 (11 PS 9 VR 10 BS). My AAMC average was 35 with a 39 on both AAMC 9 and 11. Never below an 11 in verbal, which really bites. My GPA is really low but I think I'll be able to get a good 2YGPA. I'm only in second year so I'm a few years away from applying. The problem is that I can't get a seat anywhere. Should I just take my chances with the 2015 MCAT next summer?

I got a 30 (11 PS 9 VR 10 BS). My AAMC average was 35 with a 39 on both AAMC 9 and 11. Never below an 11 in verbal, which really bites. My GPA is low but I think I'll be able to get a 2YGPA. I'm only in second year so I'm a few years away from applying. The problem is that I can't get a seat anywhere. Should I just take my chances with the 2015 MCAT next summer?

If you're only in second year, there's still plenty of time to bring up your GPA. The MCAT you have may end up being good enough.

However, if your track record on practice tests is significantly higher, it's probably worth a rewrite, since it could open up several additional schools for you. That likely means writing the 2015 MCAT. I know the extra material is a pain, but if you're getting consistent 11-12s in the current sections on your practice tests, there's little reason to believe you can't do the same with the new sections on the 2015 MCAT.

For now though, your main focus should be on your GPA - it sounds like that's the trouble spot for you (though I'm betting you're doing better than you think  :P ) - and unlike the MCAT, it's a lot harder to rewrite your GPA!

Archived