Premed 101 Forums

Life As A Urologist

Similar to the thread about Gen Surg. I was wondering if anyone here had some good information about what the life of a practising staff urologist is like? I know the residency is pretty rough, and that even the staff life is by no means a walk in the park, but in comparison to something heavier like gen surg. what would be the normal hours per week a urologist would put in? How much time do they spend with inpatient management vs. outpatient care? 

• 6 months later...

I'm not in urology, but from what I've seen on my clerkship rotations in urology, life as an attending is pretty sweet.

The usual workday is from 8-5. Not many emergencies, but still great surgical cases. 

All the attendings I've worked with seemed pretty happy in their practice.

I'm not in urology, but from what I've seen on my clerkship rotations in urology, life as an attending is pretty sweet.

The usual workday is from 8-5. Not many emergencies, but still great surgical cases. 

All the attendings I've worked with seemed pretty happy in their practice.

In surveys of surgeons, Urologists as a group generally end up being the happiest of the surgical specialties.

Urology residency, like all surgical residencies, sucks. I know multiple residents and staff who have expressed that opinion.

Residency is tough, they do approx. 7am-6pm weekdays.  Call is variable but on avg 1 in 6, but you cover more than one hospital, often have a shitty night, and since its technically home call youre sort of expected to push through the next day.

Staff is like 730-530, rarely get called in while on call.  That being said--does that sound like "good" hours to you?  Really?  I guess for a surgical specialty its good...

Residency is tough, they do approx. 7am-6pm weekdays.  Call is variable but on avg 1 in 6, but you cover more than one hospital, often have a shitty night, and since its technically home call youre sort of expected to push through the next day.

Staff is like 730-530, rarely get called in while on call.  That being said--does that sound like "good" hours to you?  Really?  I guess for a surgical specialty its good...

ha :) those are the same hours our radiologist staff often end up working, as do our internal medicine staff......

• 2 weeks later...

Once you're staff, you can pretty much have the hours you want in most specialties, including surgical. I know a urologists, ENT, and plastics guys who work 4 days/wk 9-5 type jobs in private offices. They have way better lifestyle than something more traditionally lifestyle favorable like family practice or community peds.

Much of medicine is what you make of it in terms of work life balance. Except in residency where you have little control over that of course.

• 1 month later...

Archived