Premed 101 Forums

Lifestyle In Ob/gyn

polarbear89

HI, I can tell you that during residency, the hours can be pretty intense. I regularly work around 100 hours a week, on top of studying. But since I love this specialty very much, it's all worth it to me.

I cannot tell you how the lifestyle is after residency, but from what I see with my attendings, the hours they work are a little bit less intense than during residency. Of course, it also depends on your subspecialty, working in fertility for example is much more lifestyle friendly than gynecologic oncology. 

I know a number of obstetrics staff at a community hospital setting. They typically do six to seven 24-hour calls per month (sometimes 48 hours) and clinics / operating outside of that. So, they are basically doing 60-90 hours per week as attendings (not including billing, office management, keeping up to date on learning). They do seem to enjoy what they're doing, but the schedule does wear down on them pretty heavily by the time they hit age 50 (and you don't always have the option of doing less call- welcome to the real world).

It tends to be rather competitive from what I've seen. Some people in my class did all their electives and research in obs and still didn't match to obs.

Archived