Premed 101 Forums

Minimum Mark For A Course For Western Or Toronto?

Hi! So I got a 59% in Organic Chemistry 2 (absolutely hated this course with a passion and could not bring myself to go to class or study at all, did well on the midterm but failed the final) but obviously still passed and got the credit. In fact, I still managed to have an 85% average that semester because of my other classes. All in all my cumulative GPA is sitting at 89%. Both Western and Toronto don't specify that a minimum mark needs to be met for a course. They just state their overall GPA requirement (which mine is around). Detroit Mercy in the US for example does state that a minimum mark of C+ needs to be attained in a prerequisite course (Orgo is a prereq at Detroit Mercy). Having said that, I really only plan on applying to Western and Toronto so I was wondering if I could get away with that awful mark in one class considering I meet their overall GPA requirements? I mean Orgo 2 really isn't even a specified prerequisite at either Western or Toronto.

Hi! So I got a 59% in Organic Chemistry 2 (absolutely hated this course with a passion and could not bring myself to go to class or study at all, did well on the midterm but failed the final) but obviously still passed and got the credit. In fact, I still managed to have an 85% average that semester because of my other classes. All in all my cumulative GPA is sitting at 89%. Both Western and Toronto don't specify that a minimum mark needs to be met for a course. They just state their overall GPA requirement (which mine is around). Detroit Mercy in the US for example does state that a minimum mark of C+ needs to be attained in a prerequisite course (Orgo is a prereq at Detroit Mercy). Having said that, I really only plan on applying to Western and Toronto so I was wondering if I could get away with that awful mark in one class considering I meet their overall GPA requirements? I mean Orgo 2 really isn't even a specified prerequisite at either Western or Toronto.

I don't think it'll be a big deal. I doubt most adcoms will have the time or desire to go through your transcript and analyze every single grade. On top of that, assuming that this is the only really bad grade you have (below B ), it should be fine in my opinion. ESpecially for Western...as long as you're above they're cut-off it really doesn't seem to matter. 

I don't think it'll be a big deal. I doubt most adcoms will have the time or desire to go through your transcript and analyze every single grade. On top of that, assuming that this is the only really bad grade you have (below B ), it should be fine in my opinion. ESpecially for Western...as long as you're above they're cut-off it really doesn't seem to matter. 

That was my reasoning too. That mark and a B+ I got in first year composition are my only marks below an A-.

Archived