Premed 101 Forums

Mouth To Mouth Interview Question

xcon2run

Hey all,

I was doing some interview prep tonight and came across this "what if" questions:

"If you came across a stranger needing CPR, would you perform mouth to mouth?"

Interested in hearing your thoughts and opinions on this question because I felt my answer wasn't really on point.

could be a trick question as you don't usually do mouth to mouth anymore!

ha.....

ok in general a "smart ass" answer to any question is the wrong approach as of course they are not testing your medical skills but rather your personality. Anyway as always you have to ask why are they asking this question?

you do it if you know how to. period.

And if you feel safe doing so. Approach with caution.

Or you could just do chest compressions without mouth-to-mouth, official CPR guidelines (for those in the community) seem to go back and forth on that one pretty often...

First aid courses will teach you only to do it if there is no danger to you in doing so. Not much point in trying to help someone if you get injured in doing so and then can't help them any further.

As others have mentioned, it seems these days it's suggested that the chest compressions are more important than the artificial respiratory aspect. If they just fell unconscious (and you checked to see whether they were indeed unconscious and unresponsive, and you checked to see that their airway isn't blocked, and you loosened restrictive clothing and have a way to elevate their feet slightly), then yes I would say I'd do mouth-to-mouth. (If you're certified, though, you should have a first-aid kit with you that has a disposable one-way valve for CPR. Even if you don't have it, and you're certified, I would say yes after you called 911 first.)

• 4 weeks later...

make sure you screen for Ebola first :)

Hey all,

I was doing some interview prep tonight and came across this "what if" questions:

"If you came across a stranger needing CPR, would you perform mouth to mouth?"

Interested in hearing your thoughts and opinions on this question because I felt my answer wasn't really on point.

• 2 weeks later...

Doing chest compressions only does allow for some air to be pulled into and out of the chest. So it's the current standard to do compressions only if you do not have a face mask/shield.

This is the exact reason I actually carry around my keys on  a tiny case with a shield and 4 pr gloves. The gloves come in more handy. It;s almost my worst nightmare to come across someone bleeding and have no gloves to use to stop the bleed. Personally, I consider it a breach of standard to NOT be prepared for that sort of situation. I was a first aid instructor before starting med school. 

This is the exact reason I actually carry around my keys on  a tiny case with a shield and 4 pr gloves. The gloves come in more handy. It;s almost my worst nightmare to come across someone bleeding and have no gloves to use to stop the bleed. Personally, I consider it a breach of standard to NOT be prepared for that sort of situation. I was a first aid instructor before starting med school.

Where can you purchase something of this nature?

Archived