Premed 101 Forums

Athabasca Chem 301

Has anyone taken this course and can comment on it?

http://www.athabascau.ca/syllabi/chem/chem301.htm

May need to take a 2nd term of Biochemistry if offered an interview at UBC Med. I could also take their 2nd term course of BIOC 302. But would like to avoid having to commute back to undergrad if necessary, as it would conflict with work. 

I heard from someone who took it it was hard to motivate himself to study this heavy stuff on his own.

I can sympathize with that! Definitely hard to do, but i've done hard science courses online before and was able to manage. I figure once medical school becomes a reality, you're working way harder and with more voluminous material anyways.

Aside from that UBC BIOC 302 is all full, with 30 people on the wait list, so in case i dont make it off the waitlist I need a back up.

Then again, it is just as likely I won't get an interview with UBC anyways, thus wont need to take biochem 2 lol

dont know if this helps but i took phys 102 at athabasca since U of A doesn't take phys 100 from UBC. what I can say is yes, you need to motivate yourself, but I know some other people who have taken upper level courses at AU and they said it was fine, the tutors are nice and usually mark pretty forgiving. it is crazy expensive (i had to pay $900 to take that one physics course, plus the exam fees every time you write an exam at an invigilation centre) but I ended up getting an A-. I was also working a full time job and I finished the course in like 8 weeks. not sure if this helps! :)

I did do all my Orgo through Athabasca and got A+ in both terms. It's pretty straightforward if you are prepared to work for it. There's really no-one you can ask questions of though (tutors are OK, but I find in-person talks are better), but really if you are on campus anyways go find a prof on campus and hit up their office hours.

• 1 month later...

I'm sorry that this won't help you about your question. I have never taken courses through Athabasca, but I do have a question myself. If I take courses during the summer at Athabasca, they would be considered summer courses like they would be at any university, right? And if I take them during the year they would be considered a regular addition to my academic term courseload, correct?

Im looking to take chem301 as well next summer.

I'm sorry that this won't help you about your question. I have never taken courses through Athabasca, but I do have a question myself. If I take courses during the summer at Athabasca, they would be considered summer courses like they would be at any university, right? And if I take them during the year they would be considered a regular addition to my academic term courseload, correct?

Im looking to take chem301 as well next summer.

that is correct

Best bet is to form a study group

If you take it during the year, you'll have to be a bit strict with the academic course load stuff (ensure its done by specific dates) for the schools your looking at.

If you decide to take it sooner let me know! I'm likely going to start it March 1st and then complete by April 15th, april 30th mad as the deadline for UBC Med.

If you take it during the year, you'll have to be a bit strict with the academic course load stuff (ensure its done by specific dates) for the schools your looking at.

If you decide to take it sooner let me know! I'm likely going to start it March 1st and then complete by April 15th, april 30th mad as the deadline for UBC Med.

Thanks. I will definitely let you know if i decide to take it before next summer

Archived