Premed 101 Forums

What Are My Chances-Any Help Will Be Most Appreciated :)

docvroom

I am currently in my third year of undergrad. I had a shaky first year, and mistakenly chose to write the MCAT this summer although I was working at a lab full time. My scores were very discouraging, and for a while my hope of getting into medical school was crushed. I know medicine is something I'd definitely want to pursue; however, I don't know if it is worth applying next year or should I redirect my path to medical school via a masters degree? If my chances of getting in are low, I'd rather not spend next summer studying for the MCAT and instead travel and try something different. 

My stats are: 

GPA

1st year- 3.31

2nd year- 3.76

cGPA (without a summer course)- 3.53

cGPA (with the summer course)- 3.6 

MCAT

...(24: PS7, VR7, BS10)

Extra-curricular

Winner of a national and regional science fair in grade 12 of high school 

Awards for modern languages, and science in high school

University Dean's Honour List-2nd year

Multiple admission scholarships

Research experience in multiple labs

Currently doing undergraduate research at the same lab I have been in for two summers now

Mentor undergraduate students in physics 

Volunteer at a hospital for over 2 years 

Music for over 5 years 

On the executive team of university club for 2 years

Any tips and advice on how I could tailor my application to become a more competitive applicant, or whether I should set my goal on pursuing graduate research would be immensely appreciated! 

I am currently in my third year of undergrad. I had a shaky first year, and mistakenly chose to write the MCAT this summer although I was working at a lab full time. My scores were very discouraging, and for a while my hope of getting into medical school was crushed. I know medicine is something I'd definitely want to pursue; however, I don't know if it is worth applying next year or should I redirect my path to medical school via a masters degree? If my chances of getting in are low, I'd rather not spend next summer studying for the MCAT and instead travel and try something different. 

My stats are: 

GPA

1st year- 3.31

2nd year- 3.76

cGPA (without a summer course)- 3.53

cGPA (with the summer course)- 3.6 

MCAT

...(24: PS7, VR7, BS10)

Extra-curricular

Winner of a national and regional science fair in grade 12 of high school 

Awards for modern languages, and science in high school

University Dean's Honour List-2nd year

Multiple admission scholarships

Research experience in multiple labs

Currently doing undergraduate research at the same lab I have been in for two summers now

Mentor undergraduate students in physics 

Volunteer at a hospital for over 2 years 

Music for over 5 years 

On the executive team of university club for 2 years

Any tips and advice on how I could tailor my application to become a more competitive applicant, or whether I should set my goal on pursuing graduate research would be immensely appreciated! 

The most important factors you will ever need and currently need to work on are your GPA and MCAT. Your ECs are fairly average at this point and could be improved, but that`s the least of your concerns at the moment. Without the required GPA and MCAT to meet cut-offs, all else is fairly irrelevant. Thus, focus everything you`ve got towards maximizing your GPA. Try to get a 3.9-4.0 this year and your 4th year in addition to a well balanced MCAT score. You`ve still got enough time to make a comeback, just make sure you don`t miss the opportunity to do so. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello! 

Sorry for getting back to you until only now, I hope I am not too late. For me juggling a full time lab position and MCAT was a tough act. However, I have heard of people who have done the same and have excelled in their MCAT. Labs often differ, and supervisors' expectations of students are quite variable. I would definitely let your supervisor know that you will be writing the exam, and perhaps talk about some flexibility with your schedule. Perhaps a week leading up to your exam you could ask for some time off, or have you considered asking whether you could work as part-time instead. 

I hope this was of some help. 

Best of luck! 

Hi!

I really don't wanna thread jack you dude but I may run into the issue that you ran into when taking the MCAT and was wondering whether I could get some advice? I'm in my second year at UBC and have been volunteering in my lab, I may get a full time paid position this summer but I was also planning to study for the NEW MCAT and take it at the end of the summer. Full time + MCAT = bad idea you think??? My average first year at UBC was 89% (Not providing a GPA because UBC does it on a 4.33 scale and it may confuse you). Do you think MCAT + full time lab position is dangerous business? Or were you just not devoting enough time as you should have been to the MCAT? Anything you would have done differently? Do you think if one works hard enough they can still manage both the job and MCAT studying and still do well on the MCAT (I.e at least a 32) or is it way to subjective a question?

Thanks so much and I really hope things work out for you :)

i have no idea about the new MCAT, but i worked full time in a lab+1 8hr weekend shift at a part time job and i managed for score in the 30's. it wasn't easy, but i wouldnt change it if i were to do it again. Working only means that while some people will have the luxury of taking the summer off to study, and they (at least people i saw) have time to take evenings off, go to the beach with friends on the weekend, etc. I really had to manage my time well. But I know many many people will work full time (by choice or necessity) and do perfectly fine on the MCAT! I feel like taking a whole summer off for one exam is a bit excessive, but thats just my opinion :)

Its definitely possible. I was working in a lab full time, was volunteering at a soup kitchen 2-3 hrs per week, volunteering wt the hospital 6 hrs per week and coaching a bit of soccer. I managed to get a 35 on my mcat and still had a bit of time to do some fun stuff. It's a lot of work, but its possible!

Wouldn't this depend a lot on how much background knowledge you have on the new subjects in MCAT2015 like sociology/psychology? If I were in your situation I would approach the new MCAT much more cautiously and I would even consider taking a prep course of some kind just to get a better sense of the new material/format. Also what province are you in?

Archived