Premed 101 Forums

Practicum?

A practicum would be a work placement that you got credit for as part of grad school.  You might have to submit a report to your school as part of the practicum.  

For example, for the UofT Masters of Public Health, you are required to do 2 practica. Each practicum would take place fulltime over 3 months, or part time for 6 months.  I think sometimes doing a practicum is optional, but I believe it is more common for them to be required (especially in a course-based Masters).

my understanding is, if you choose to do an internship related to your course of study, but you do not get credit for it, it is not a practicum.  If you choose to do a self-directed research project, that is not a practicum either.

Does that help?  I'm no expert, but I did do a practicum, and that is my understanding of it.

My thinking is, if you aren't sure if something you did was a practicum, it probably isn't.  That being said, feel free to share what specific experience(s) you're wondering about!

I spoke to UofT admissions today and they mentioned that a practicum is very obviously a practicum like Mala said. What they mean by that is that when you take it during school it is called a Practicum. Does this help? She told me if it is literally referred to as a practicum then it is one but if it is not then do not include it even if it had an applied portion. So basically if you are questioning it it doesn't count lol. I was confused as well !  :)

Archived