Premed 101 Forums

Canceling The Dat?

do you guys get some sort of refund? thats the only way i could see missing the DAT you registered for as being beneficial. Because why on earth would you not show up? You paid more then 300 dollars for the test. at least least try it and expose yourself to the DAT atmosphere so next time you write it you will be comfortable. What is the logic behind missing the test? am i missing something here? 

Thanks for the input everyone.

do you guys get some sort of refund? thats the only way i could see missing the DAT you registered for as being beneficial. Because why on earth would you not show up? You paid more then 300 dollars for the test. at least least try it and expose yourself to the DAT atmosphere so next time you write it you will be comfortable. What is the logic behind missing the test? am i missing something here? 

I just feel bad because I am probably going to get like 50% of the questions wrong :( If they send those scores to the dental schools, I feel like something bad might happen... but I might be wrong.

When you sit and write the exam, they actually confirm whether you want these scores to be sent to schools or not, so you can essentially write the test without having any of the schools see your (potentially bad) scores. Since you probably won't get your refund, it might be a good experience just to see what kind of questions you'll get on the exam, without having a real pressure, but it's really up to you!  Good luck either way friend!

When you sit and write the exam, they actually confirm whether you want these scores to be sent to schools or not, so you can essentially write the test without having any of the schools see your (potentially bad) scores. Since you probably won't get your refund, it might be a good experience just to see what kind of questions you'll get on the exam, without having a real pressure, but it's really up to you!  Good luck either way friend!

What, really?!? I thought there was no way to void your DAT like you can with the MCAT. So you have the option at the end to "not send DAT scores to dental schools"? And there would be no record of it?

And the reason I wouldn't write it is because some American Schools look at all your DAT scores. 

What, really?!? I thought there was no way to void your DAT like you can with the MCAT. So you have the option at the end to "not send DAT scores to dental schools"? And there would be no record of it?

And the reason I wouldn't write it is because some American Schools look at all your DAT scores. 

Don't American schools only look at your American DAT scores? I am seriously considering just writing it as long as the scores are not revealed to the school.

WAIT A SECOND. 

I read here on the Canadian DAT website that only your most recent score will be reported on your DAT Transcript to schools (unless you request otherwise).

YESSS  :lol:

So when I write the DAT again, and decide to send that better (hopefully) score, this shitty DAT score that I won't be prepared enough for wouldn't show up at all!

https://www.cda-adc.ca/en/becoming/dat/information/results/

IMO it's definitely worth it to write even if you don't feel prepared.

I was in the same situation last year. I had like 4 midterms and about 4 days to study. I DID NOT FEEL READY AT ALL. Still managed to score 20s across all sections. It is a test that depends on how well you do relative to others and the majority of us are in similar positions with a lot of other things going on. It's definitely a good experience and like the poster above me pointed out, only your most recent score gets sent to schools unless you manually send old ones yourself.

IMO it's definitely worth it to write even if you don't feel prepared.

I was in the same situation last year. I had like 4 midterms and about 4 days to study. I DID NOT FEEL READY AT ALL. Still managed to score 20s across all sections. It is a test that depends on how well you do relative to others and the majority of us are in similar positions with a lot of other things going on. It's definitely a good experience and like the poster above me pointed out, only your most recent score gets sent to schools unless you manually send old ones yourself.

Hmm the problem is when I was registering for the DAT, they forced to me select at least one school to send the scores so I ended up choosing 2 schools :(

I don't know if I can still choose not to send the scores to those schools at this point. Anyone has any ideas?

Hmm the problem is when I was registering for the DAT, they forced to me select at least one school to send the scores so I ended up choosing 2 schools :(

I don't know if I can still choose not to send the scores to those schools at this point. Anyone has any ideas?

Are you still planning to apply this cycle? There's no harm done either way. If you write poorly and apply, worst case scenario, your application gets rejected and you can try next cycle with a (hopefully) stronger rewritten DAT score and schools won't see this cycle's score anyway. If not, schools won't have a DAT score to link your app too and it'll just be disregarded.

You can always contact the CDA and ask if they're able to withhold your scores from being released to schools if you're not planning on applying. Either way, writing it won't have a negative effect and you might as well since you paid for it.

When I went to write last year, one of the students at UofT was telling everyone how he had to write 3 times before being accepted.

Archived