Premed 101 Forums

questions about US applications

Guest nightowl

Guest nightowl

Hi,

I had a few questions about US applications that I hope can be answered.

I have a 10 10 9 Q MCAT, 3.8 GPA. I was looking at MSARS, and it seems I can apply to quite a US few schools that I wouldn't be able to in Canada due to my MCAT. I also have a US visa, although I went to a Canadian university. I read somewhere that Canadians are considered out-of-state residents, so I'm guessing that doesn't help with anything. (is this correct).

Anyways, my big question is the details of the MCAT scores which are written the the MSARS. I was wondering if schools bias MCAT for their state residents (like here in Canada). For example, considering that a posted average score of 9 9 9 for a school is kinda low, does this usually mean that state residents have scores at or lower, while out-of-state residents have to have much better MCAT scores to be accepted?

Also, I noticed some MSARS schools has prequisites written like Biology (8) and English (6). Does the the 8 and 6 both represent 2 half-courses of Bio and Engl?

Thanks for your replies. I'm posting because it seems there's so many intracacies of US schools that I didn't realize. And I don't really want to get my hopes up for no reason and then get disappointed with no interviews (as was my experience within Canada).

Thanks so much!

State schools in general do favor their own applicants. For example, even though the University of North Dakota has an MCAT average close to yours, your chances of getting in there is next to nil, unless you have some ties to the state.

In terms of having a "US visa", what do you mean? Do you have a green card? If you do, it'll make things a lot easier.

Guest Madz25

"I read somewhere that Canadians are considered out-of-state residents, so I'm guessing that doesn't help with anything. (is this correct)."

---In-state/out-of-state doesn't matter at private schools.

"Also, I noticed some MSARS schools has prequisites written like Biology (8) and English (6). Does the the 8 and 6 both represent 2 half-courses of Bio and Engl?"

---Yes, if you see 8 or 6 it means 2 semesters and if you see 4 or 3 it means one semester.

Guest AMakdessi

Hi guys... I'm just finishing High School and lately, I have become very interested in Medical School in the States. Coming from a Middle-Class Income family with 2 other dependents, how beneficial is it having dual citizenship? My mother got it for me when I was born (she was an immigrant to the US and is still a citizen). I have some family in New Jersey and New York.

Does having a dual citizenship have any advantages when it comes to applying and attending med. school in the States?

Thanks in advance,

A.Makdessi

Guest LaGriega

There are definite advantages. As a dual citizen (like me), you are equivalent to every other US applicant. You are eligible for federal loans. There are in-state vs. out-of-state advantages, which you may get depending on your relatives and your history in each state.

Since you're just finishing high school, I would go ahead and study what interests you, have fun, and do some interesting stuff outside school. As you get closer to med school applications (if you decide you want to do that), you can start to narrow down the field some more and consider Canada vs. US for med school and life afterwards.

Archived