Premed 101 Forums

U Of C Grads! Please Help Me Decide A Major! Quick!

Hey fellows,

I'm a student in high-school grade 12 and I got the results for this semester and I've got 90+%. That basically means I'm eligible to apply to any science program I wish to apply to and I have to make a decision, and quick before the deadline of early admission.

I want to do either CMMB(general not honors) or Kinesiology(general). I liked CMMB after I checked out the CMMB course outlines about immunology, virology, human genetics and stuff like that and it really intrigues me. Maybe because I really loved genetics in grade 12. But looking at the kinesiology major, It's equally fun because, common, it's all about the human anatomy and physiology! Bottom line: In matters of interest, I love both equally.

This is my second problem, Since my main aim is to go for med school, I'd choose an 'Easier course' for a higher potential GPA and more time for ECs, but I don't have anyone's views on these programs at University of Calgary. It would be really really really really helpful if you would share your experiences/views! You know, in terms of the nature of professors, course difficulty, etc.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

Seriously, no one gives a crap about your major! If I could give you one piece of advice right now: pick either one and move on with your life. The first two years of virtually every undergraduate science program is the same (bio, chem, orgo, biochem, english calc and the list goes on...). Personally, I took three years of bio-sci at U of C, and I can say that it was not really different than any other program. My third-year course in detailed cell signalling has NOT helped me one bit in med school so far. In my med school class, we have so many people from such a variety of backgrounds, where many of them are NOT science majors! (Yes, arts majors, nurses, PTs, business kids, pharmacists, musicians, and even lawyers are in medical school!) Honestly, pick something you are genuinely interested in studying... take classes in arts, music, philosophy, or whatever because you will have lots of time to learn the science IN med school. IMO, we need more doctors these days that can understand patients at a deeper level, rather than someone who can memorize the Krebs cycle in/out. 

Sorry for the rant!

GL

• 1 month later...

Archived