Premed 101 Forums

writing CDN boards from US

Guest PLT

Hi,

I was hoping someone could outline the process of writing the Canadian as well as the American exams. How similar are they / are they written at the same time / general comments.

Thank you very much

Canadian boards you must take in Canada. Part I is generally taken in May of your fourth year. So basically what I did is I scheduled USMLE Step 2 around March, Step 2 CS in April, and LMCC Part 1 in May. USMLE you can take anywhere in the world with the exception of Step 3 (and step 2 CS) which must be taken in the US when you apply to a specific state medical board.

Guest MedBound786

Hi Moo;

Why did you take the LMCC? I understand that you are a US Med graduate and now a resident in Canada. But I always thought that to match in the CaRMS, USMLE was considered equivalent to the Canadian Boards. So why take the LMCC?

thanks

I believe this is true only if you are applying for registration with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario. I have no interest in practicing in Ontario long-term so I took the LMCCs just to be sure. (And I'm doing residency in Alberta so I need the LMCCs to register with the College there.)

Archived