Premed 101 Forums

MSAR 2006-2007 & How soon/late?

Guest MagnumMD

Guest MagnumMD

Hey everyone,

This is my first time writing on this board, and it's my first time applying to the States (so I feel REALLY lost!).

I have a few quick questions that I hope shouldn't take too much of your time to answer:

1) MSAR 2007-2008 is expensive and takes forever to be delivered. I can get my hands on last year's for much cheaper and can receive it much more quickly.

Is it worth the money and the wait for the latest version?

2) The only thing I can find about how soon to apply is "ASAP!!" or the like. What's the latest I could apply this year w/o compromising my application.

I suppose the quick answer might be it depends on the school. Can you give examples of how early some schools want it and how late others want it?

3) Speaking of schools, assuming my marks and MCAT are competitive, what schools (as a Canadian) should I absolutely apply to and which should I absolutely avoid?

I know MSAR helps w/ this, but the opinions of my peers are important too!

Thanks,

Magnum.

1) The old one (assuming not more than a couple years old) should suffice.

2) Latest to submit AMCAS is mid-October if I remember correctly. So you could conceivably apply then and still have a chance if your stats are decent. Of course, no one will recommend you apply so late. Some schools are non-rolling too and make all decisions at once so you will not be at a disadvantage at those schools.

3) I just created a sticky from the other forum on top of this page. Use this as a first guide. Remember to call the schools to confirm whether they accept Canadians. Policies change year after year and I'd hate for you to blow money on schools that don't accept Canadians.

Guest Madz25

I agree with what moo said above and would like to add:

2) Schools have AMCAS deadlines (primary application) ranging from Oct-Dec and secondary deadlines that go until January (maybe even later). Some schools will give you a set time frame in which you must complete your secondary (ie. a month from when they sent it to you) while others want it before the deadline. I would suggest that you have everything (AMCAS + secondaries + ref letters etc.) all submitted by the end of August (if possible). The earlier, the better. Don't wait until the deadlines. Interview season starts in/around September.

For AMCAS, the application can take up to 6 weeks to be verified. The later you apply, the longer it will take. Some schools wont send you the secondary app until they've received the primary. I submitted my AMCAS app in early August last year (I thought I that WAS early lol) and it took 3 weeks to verify. Just something to keep in mind.

3) People generally say to apply to private schools as a Canadian but I found that the state schools showed me more love. Maybe it was because I applied so late so I don't know. Just saying - don't completely write off state schools.

Hope this helps.

Madz

Archived