Premed 101 Forums

AMCAS GPA question

Guest supa76

Guest supa76

Just wondering if I'm wasting my money applying to the states this year.

My undergrad GPA is terrible ~2.1 (OMSAS). However, I returned to study as an Unclassified student three years after undergrad, and did 2 years full-time with a GPA ~3.90. My composite MCAT is 34P btw.

How is the above situation taken into account with AMCAS? Are all the courses just added to get one big GPA calculation? Are there any schools that don't count grades from 10+ years ago? This is the case with UBC and thus the only school in Canada I really have a chance with.

Thanks for the help!

supa

All courses will be counted and reported. Individual schools may vary in the way they consider your courses. Most schools don't use a cutoff to determine interviews. If you've turned things around (which you obviously have), you will have a good chance at many schools.

Guest supa76

cool thanks for the optimism and the quick reply moo.

With my half-assed research, I've narrowed it down to:

Mt.Sinai

Yeshiva

Pritzker

Vanderbilt

Tulane

Rosiland Franklin

Wayne State

Based on cost, openess to Canadians, and competiveness. Although all seem way out of reach for me with my lame stats. Hopefully the MCAT will help? I also have no research experience, but lots of great ECs.

Any comments on these choices or other possilibilities I missed?

The energy put into US/Oz applications sure has helped me deal with post-rejection malaise this year.

Thanks for the help!

supa

Also, you may want to consider osteopathic (DO) schools. You may want to check out forums.studentdoctor.net or do a google search on these schools.

Archived