Premed 101 Forums

Reference Letters

Guest Saberial

Guest Saberial

Hi all!

I'm applying this year for the first time to US med schools and I had a few questions about reference letters.

I'm assuming we get asked for reference letters when we are asked to submit our secondary application. Do we submit reference letters to AMCAS and then they submit it to the schools we indicate? Or do my referees have to individually send them to out to each of the schools?

The number of letters that one referee may have to send can easily add up if applying to many schools, not to mention the Canadian schools (although OMSAS helps out for Ontario schools).

Thanks for your help!

Guest Madz25

Your referee must send letters to each individial school - NOT AMCAS. There are some letter package courier type services available where you can send one set of letters to the service and they will send it to the schools you indicate. Not sure if all schools accept this or what the website is....

I got my referees to send them directly to each school and I had no problems.

Madz

Guest Saberial

Thanks for the prompt reply!

I was just thinking it might be cumbersome for a referee to send out so many letters.

Guest Madz25

It definitely is. I helped them as much as I could. I gave them address labels with the schools' addresses already on them so that they would know how many copies to make and they wouldn't be writing addresses all day!

Archived