Premed 101 Forums

McMaster Bachelor of Health Sciences (Honours)

Guest StephenNoor

Guest StephenNoor

Hello everyone,

You may have seen my post elsewhere, but Im posting again, due to insufficient number of responses...

I just got accepted to this program a number of days ago (yay!)

I also happened to be an aspiring medical student and absoloutely love working in groups. I've heard many great things about the program. I think this program would suit me perfectly. Except, I have this one concern.

Is the Health Sciences program acclaimed internationally if not McMaster itself? (I am asking Because I want to go to med schools in Ivy League Institutions after completing my undergraduate studies in Canada...) I am afraid that the Health Sciences program @ MAC is not well-known in the U.S...in spite of its excellent reputation domestically.

Can anyone comment on this...

Thanx.

Guest VwDubber

americans generally don't know much about canadian universities. if your main goal is to pick a canadian school that our neighbors south of the border have heard of, you best bet is mcgill (really only b/c osler graduated from there and went on to make contributions to the field at hopkins and penn).

going to mcmaster will not hinder your chances of getting into an ivy school ... but us schools have probably never heard of mcmaster university. however, your chances depend way more on your MCAT and GPA rather then your school. 35% of my class is from cornell and while the ivies are generally well respected, schools like big red et al. are highly overrated !! I would have gladly gone to ucsf or stanford instead.

enjoy your time at mac!

Guest juan

the ivy league is overrated and overpriced.

there are superior medical programs here in Canada... Toronto, McGill, UWO, and Mac.

worry about surviving undergrad first, see what's out there, and then reassess.

my two cents

Guest StephenNoor

Isn't McMaster Med known internationally for its Problem-Based Learning? I heard Harvard adapted that approach as well...

Anyways, thx for you advices. I appreciate it. I guess I will start worrying about Med school after my first year of undergrad.

Guest VwDubber
there are superior medical programs here in Canada... Toronto, McGill, UWO, and Mac.
superior? i think that's quite a stretch !!!!

Guest VwDubber
Isn't McMaster Med known internationally for its Problem-Based Learning? I heard Harvard adapted that approach as well...
well that's the thing ... as far as i know .. mac was the first to implement PBL into medical education and i'm pretty sure they did help set up the new pathway program but from my experience, most us peeps aren't aware of this.

when i interviewed at us schools, ppl asked me where else i interviewed and when i said mcmaster ... i could tell they were clueless. one of them joked around and said that sounds like mcdonald's university ... lol

------------------------------

http://www.futuredoc.ca/forums

Guest StephenNoor

Do you mind sharing your stats (just as a reference)?

Which (US/Canadian) Med Schools were you interviewed by/accepted to/rejected from?

Thx in advance.

Guest VwDubber

i applied to way too many schools in hindsight but my overall experience with the us schools was very pleasant. with the cad schools, it wasn't as memorable to say the least.

in cad, i interviewed at ubc and mcmaster and was accepted to ubc, rejected from mcmaster post-interview but was later accepted by them ... very close to the start of actual classes. in the us, i had interviews from 10+ schools so i'm not going to list them all. i interviewed at 2 us schools, and was accepted at both of them. ultimately decided to attend a us school so i could be close to my bf.

if you'd like more specific info about me (ie. stats), please check out the www.futuredoc.ca/forums and feel free to post on there. it's a site dedicated to helping cad applicants gain admission to us schools.

g'luck :)

Archived