Premed 101 Forums

MCAT and Rolling admissions

Guest daryn

Guest daryn

Hi.

I'm going into my fourth year. Here are my stats:

3.65 ish U of T GPA (which I read that it's similar to AMCAS)

31N

The problem that I have with my MCAT score is my writing sample. So I'm planning on studying my butt off this summer and get a good score.

1)How is that going to affect admissions in the US (especially rolling admissions)? Are my stats competitive as is? Assuming if I get a better MCAT score, would my chances become higher?

2) I also realize that I have next to zero chances in getting into the top tier schools. That's ok. I made peace with that a long time ago. But realistically, should I aim for the safety ones or the middle ones as a Canadian?

Guest Madz25

With respect to re-writing the MCAT and rolling admissions:

If you write in August, you wont get the scores until mid-October and your file wont be considered complete until the schools receive your new scores. That will put you behind in the application process (in terms of rolling admission). US schools start interviewing as early as September and to not have your file complete until mid-October is not going to help.

Madz

Guest Gem2005

Hi there,

Is that so for all American schools. I am also writing the Mcat for the first time in August. When should I ideally send my application. Would I have ANY CHANCE providing that my Mcat scores dont get released before October?

Also, if interview's start in September, do they go on all year. I'm a bit confuused, since there are ppl here who talk about getting interviewed in April, March...

I was also wondering, on another topic, what does AVERAGE SCORES mean. When looking at the mean Mcat, Gpa scores of different schools, I see for instance average mean gpa score of 3.6. But I heard of ppl getting in the American school with lower scores ex:3.4.

Any clarification would be appreciated!

GEM

Guest Madz25

Yes, I think for most schools your file wont be complete until your August scores are in. If you are taking the August MCAT and want it to be considered, you state that on your secondary application and the schools will wait until the score has arrived before reviewing your file.

I actually ended up filling in my secondary applications quite late - up until November - because I wasn't aware that they start interviewing as early as September. The deadlines for secondaries ranged from Dec-Jan. I still got a few interviews. It depends on your application - I can't say whether you will or wont get interviews if you submit your secondaries so late. The chances will be lower, but not completely hopeless.

Generally, the interview season for rolling admissions is Sept-April (generally!!). The later you submit your application, the lower the chances of getting an interview. The later the interview, the lower the chances of admission.

I think average GPA is pretty self-explanatory. The average cGPA of all admitted students to that class. There are schools in the US where students get in with GPA of less than 3.5. For instance, in-state residents can get into their state schools more easily than other schools. Students may also have other qualities that make them desirable candidates despte the lower GPA. US schools dont have GPA cutoffs - they review each file in its entirety.

The only way I've seen the average score for MCAT is eg. average MCAT of 10. They average each section of the MCAT for each student to get the 'average MCAT score.'

Example of average MCAT for one student:

9/12/11 total = 32 32/3 = 10.67

Guest NRC boy

I am considering re-writing the MCAT in August. My best MCAT score is 31O and my gpa is roughly 3.80. I have a 3 year B.Sc in Biochemistry from the U of Winnipeg. I have pretty good research experience seeing how I spent the last year working full-time at the National Research Council of Canada. I have plenty of EC's which include developing a Mentorship Program to promote rural medicine in Manitoba to pre-med students. (http://www.healthmentormb.ca for anyone thats interested) My question is, would it be better for me to wait until my August scores are in and then apply or should I just state that I do not want them consider my Aug MCAT so they can process my application faster. (PS - Even if I do get my MCAT up, I dont think it would be much higher) Any help would be deeply appreciated.

Guest Madz25

If you wait until you get your August MCAT scores to apply then it will be MUCH longer until your file is considered complete. The later you submit your primary application, the longer it takes them to verify it. I submitted mine in early August and it took them 3-4 weeks to verify it. If you submit it in October, you will be waiting for around 6 weeks.

Some schools send secondaries before the verification is complete, some send it after. If schools send it after, then you will lose another few weeks. Plus, most schools have additional essays to complete on their secondary application which will also take time. Lastly, you will want your reference letters in ASAP as it can take some time for all of them to arrive at the school. Reference letters are what kept my file from being completed.

Why would you write the MCAT and not want it considered? If you dont want it considered in order to have your file complete sooner, then dont bother writing it (unless ofcourse you're re-writing for Canadian schools).

So, I would suggest getting everything done before the MCAT marks come out so that when they do come out, your file is good to go - that is if you DO want your new score to be considered.

Hope this helps.

Madz

Guest NRC boy

Thanks Madz. If I were to write the MCAT it would be to increase my chances of getting into a Canadian medical school. I think my stats are descent enough to at least get a few invites from some second tier American medical schools. By the way, which American schools did you end up applying to and which ones invited u for an interview? Anyways best of luck with U of M, I hope we both just get there and all this american med school talk would have been just a waste of time.

Guest Madz25

Thanks NRCboy - good luck to you as well for UofM!

I applied to a ton of schools - it would take me all night to list them all! OK, I'm exaggerating just a tad. :P

I ended up interviewing at SUNY upstate (high priority waitlisted), Rosalind Franklin (accepted), and Penn State (accepted). I've decided to attend Penn State if things don't work out in Canada.

If you don't care about your new MCAT score regarding US schools, then apply early - the earlier the better! I realize you probably don't want to go through all the hassle right now when you have the chance of being accepted at Manitoba. Anyway, if you have any questions about applying to US schools - I'm happy to help!

Guest DoNair

If you already have a 30+ MCAT score and a good GPA (someone had 3.8?) then apply to the US already. With stats like that, someone who applies early will definately have a very good shot at getting in.

If you want to get in to a school in Canada then you'll need to improve that MCAT score.

So basically if you want a good shot at the US then you screw your chances in Canada. If you want a good shot at Canada you screw your chances in the US.

I'd rather but my eggs in the US basket b/c there are so many more med schools that can take you.

Guest NRC boy

Alright, looks like if U of M doesn't take me I will be applying crazy early to some US schools for next year. Any recommendations on what schools to apply to? I have a 31O MCAT and a 3.85/4.00 gpa so i want to apply to schools that I can be competitive at. Thanks again everyone.

Guest Madz25

Take a look in the "Applying to American Schools" forum at the list of US schools that have interviewed Canadians - that's a good place to start. With so many schools in the US, I really recommend that you get your hands on a copy of the MSAR. Your school's career centre may carry it.

Madz

Archived