Premed 101 Forums

Can I apply to US schools this year if I take Aug MCAT?

Guest Zuckman

Guest Zuckman

Hey everyone,

I'm curious if it is possible to realistically get any interviews in the US if I apply this year when I take the Aug MCAT. Due to rolling admissions, I've heard that their is less of a chance to get an interview.

Is it possible to apply without sending the mcat scores and then send the scores once the scores come in. That way, my file would already be in.

Thanks

Zucker

Guest canuck0000

Well, it is definitely possible to get interviews in the US if you apply this year while having written the August MCAT. Unfortunately, your AMCAS file will not be completed and reviewed by schools until the MCAT scores come in, even if the rest of the application is finished and sent. This is a disadvantage at rolling schools (though not at non-rolling schools - and they do exist), as they will have already interviewed (and possibly even accepted) some students by the time your application is complete for reviewing. Whether it will impact your ability to get an interview depends on the strength your application. If you've got great extracurriculars and academics, and get a good MCAT score, a later file review should not affect whether you get an interview or not by much. However, with a weaker application, the later file completion has a much greater impact. One thing to note is that it is hard to judge the strength of your application without knowing your MCAT score, so you will be applying MCAT-blind.

I hope this helps answer your question.

Archived