Premed 101 Forums

On The Verge Of Failing First Semester Of First Year

Morpheus

So I am pretty much getting D's and maybe miraculously a C in most of my courses by the end of this semester.  I haven't been serious or dilligent with my work and didn't hand in assignments, do labs, and skipped 3 midterms and failed the rest. It has hit me now.  Now I've been spending every living hour not eating, sleeping, in lab or in lecture studying in the library (like serious, focused studying) so that I can at least do well on the exams.  I checked out the average GPAs for med schools in Canada and it was an eye-opener.  My jaws literally dropped. If from this point on I get 4.0 GPAs in all my courses till I graduate (I am serious about this), will my GPA be good enough to be able to get into medical school (considering some med school's GPA Averages are 3.9+)? I have 58 courses left in my 63 course program (it's a 5 year, double degree program) to boost what will be likely a 1.5 to 2.0 for 5 courses at the end of this semester.  I know I should have started working for what I wanted from the get go, but when I arrived school, I became lazy and unmotivated for some reason and started to slack off.  Now it has hit me. I also know it is more than just the raw numbers that gets someone into med school. How impactful will the low grades and GPA this semester be when i'm applying to medical school?   Any input, advice or comments will be much appreciated.

Thank You.

So I am pretty much getting D's and maybe miraculously a C in most of my courses by the end of this semester.  I haven't been serious or dilligent with my work and didn't hand in assignments, do labs, and skipped 3 midterms and failed the rest. It has hit me now.  Now I've been spending every living hour not eating, sleeping, in lab or in lecture studying in the library (like serious, focused studying) so that I can at least do well on the exams.  I checked out the average GPAs for med schools in Canada and it was an eye-opener.  My jaws literally dropped. If from this point on I get 4.0 GPAs in all my courses till I graduate (I am serious about this), will my GPA be good enough to be able to get into medical school (considering some med school's GPA Averages are 3.9+)? I have 58 courses left in my 63 course program (it's a 5 year, double degree program) to boost what will be likely a 1.5 to 2.0 for 5 courses at the end of this semester.  I know I should have started working for what I wanted from the get go, but when I arrived school, I became lazy and unmotivated for some reason and started to slack off.  Now it has hit me. I also know it is more than just the raw numbers that gets someone into med school. How impactful will the low grades and GPA this semester be when i'm applying to medical school?   Any input, advice or comments will be much appreciated.

Thank You.

If you start improving your grades next semester, you will still be in good shape for most Canadian schools. Please take a look at each school's website, or maybe only the schools you would attend. You will see that many have grading schemes that drop your worst year or lowest mark or what not.

I failed over a year and I didnt turn it around for a couple years. And by failed I mean 11 Fs not Ds or Cs. Then I turned it around with about a 3.9 GPA so far. If I can give you some advice, what is absolutely important now is figuring out what went wrong or trying something new and/or having a different outlook for next time. Don't be afraid to take some time off to work and volunteer. After I took one calendar year to refocus I had the best grades of my life. For me it was all about outlook and habits. I had a positive outlook on school and on life that I never had before. I spent less time doing social activities and more time in the library. I highly recommend you make going to the library a habit. I truely believe that (plus a positive outlook) is what turned around my grades.

It sounds like it was pretty simple in your case that you didn't care about the work and didn't do the work. Since it sounds like an effort issue, I would aim for a full semester with high motivation and high work ethic and you should get close to the grades you want. Some people work well with a busy schedule that has many ECs. I would stay away from this until you have one successful semster under your belt. The hospitals I know don't even accept applicants in their first semester of school. Make school your full-time job and then some.

• 2 weeks later...

If you start improving your grades next semester, you will still be in good shape for most Canadian schools. Please take a look at each school's website, or maybe only the schools you would attend. You will see that many have grading schemes that drop your worst year or lowest mark or what not.

I failed over a year and I didnt turn it around for a couple years. And by failed I mean 11 Fs not Ds or Cs. Then I turned it around with about a 3.9 GPA so far. If I can give you some advice, what is absolutely important now is figuring out what went wrong or trying something new and/or having a different outlook for next time. Don't be afraid to take some time off to work and volunteer. After I took one calendar year to refocus I had the best grades of my life. For me it was all about outlook and habits. I had a positive outlook on school and on life that I never had before. I spent less time doing social activities and more time in the library. I highly recommend you make going to the library a habit. I truely believe that (plus a positive outlook) is what turned around my grades.

It sounds like it was pretty simple in your case that you didn't care about the work and didn't do the work. Since it sounds like an effort issue, I would aim for a full semester with high motivation and high work ethic and you should get close to the grades you want. Some people work well with a busy schedule that has many ECs. I would stay away from this until you have one successful semster under your belt. The hospitals I know don't even accept applicants in their first semester of school. Make school your full-time job and then some.

thanks so much.

Archived