Premed 101 Forums

Albany

Guest mg83

Has anyone who interviewed heard anything yet. I had my interview April 13th and they haven't e-mail me yet. At my orientation thing they said they ususally tell people by the end of the week after the commitee meets? Can anyone help me out with a time line?

Guest lovelyladylumps

Hi mg83,

I interviewed at Albany on March 30th. They sent me an email the next week (April 6th, to be exact) saying that I was "under consideration". What did you think of Albany (both the school and the city)?

thanks for the reply. I was impressed with the hospital for sure since its such a huge trauma center. Everything else i was pretty indifferent on....i'd say average. I wouldn't mind going to school there....it seems like it would be fun. How about you?

Guest lovelyladylumps

I had mixed feelings about Albany Medical College. Some of the second years said they really loved it and others said they pretty much hated it. The weird thing is that they both had totally opposite things to say about the same topic. For example, one student said they liked AMC because there was a lot of clinical exposure right away (i.e. in first year), while another student said they didn't like AMC because students almost never set foot in the hospital until clerkship (3rd year). Another example: one student felt that AMC has a really attentive and supportive med faculty, while another said that the faculty was neglectful and disorganized. One last thing that kinda irked me: I was talking to another interviewee who said that her interviewer (a middle-aged clinician at the Albany Medical Centre) told her during her interview that Albany was the worst hospital he had ever worked at. How weird is that?! So all in all, I had no idea what to think after talking to people.

My personal opinion of the school is that it is OKAY. I have a feeling that people who are accepted to another med school likely go to that other med school because Albany does not seem very reputable...at all. I felt that the administration was somewhat disorganized (I had asked to be billeted with a med student when I replied to the interview invite e-mail, but found out the day before my interview--only because I called the admissions office--that they did NOT set me up with anyone. They didn't even e-mail me to let me know that I'd have to find a hotel instead).

The city itself is tiny, life-less, and pretty depressing...but you must take into account that I am a big city kind of girl. I basically walked around all of Albany in 2 hours and saw next to nothing. Of course, I am in no position to choose which med school to go to because Albany is one of the few places I received an interview. One thing I know for sure is that it is my last choice. So, I guess those are my thoughts for now. Anyone else have Albany comments?

yeah, i heard some contradictory statements also. I was a little confused by the "we only go to class if we want to" comment. Well at least its an accredited school therefore some minimum standard has to be maintained. I looked at their match list and some students got very competitive residencies so I think you'll get out of the school what you'll put into it.

I though i would have heard something by now. I interviewed on the 13th and when i e-mail one of my interviewers on thursday (one week after) she told me she hadn't heard anything yet and to e-mail her back early next week. I interviewed at 2 other schools in canada but won't know anything until May 15th. I would be nice to get into Albany as a safety net. I would make the waiting a lot easier.

I'm from a city of close to a million people so I definately got the small town vibe but it seems like there are good bars....hey that's at least one positive! Good luck with your other schools lovelyladylumps.:D

Guest queenstri

i'm UC at the moment...there goes my chances of trying to get a deferral

they emailed me today (april 24), and i interviewed on the 6th. apparently they are a little backed up.

I'm also under consideration and today they e-mailed me a tuition increase notification. Did they e-mail you one also? I'm kinda confused as to why they're sending me this even when i haven't been offered admission? I'm trying not to read too much into it.

Guest lovelyladylumps

I got that tuition e-mail as well but I'm not reading into it at all. I don't think it says anything about our application status. All it means is that I will have to rob a bank if I get in to Albany and decide to go there.

Guest queenstri

i got the email as well...they also gave us a letter at the orientation thing before the interviews...figured it's just reminding us.

too damn much for my blood.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mg83

I was accepted to U of Calgary so I guess I won't be headed south of the border. I'm pretty relieved considering the price tag on a degree down there. Good luck to all you guys on your admissions process.

Archived