Premed 101 Forums

Official University Of Alberta 2015 Pharmacy Applicants - Class Of 2019

Koko

Thanks again for the lightning fast reply and for the tremendously thorough info!

And one last one for now, given that you are in pharmacy, would you say that you have enough time for leisure (working out, video games, movies, etc)?

That's it for now from me, I wish you tons of success in the new semester.

Yes absolutely. First year is extremely slack. As I've mentioned previously, there are a lot of days when theres only one hour of classes as well as numerous days completely off. I've found myself having a lot of time for myself, significantly more than in undergrad. Finals are all specifically placed with a day in between each one, so you always have time to study for each final, with no doubles. I've heard second and third years do not have as relaxing of a schedule, but in first year it is quite enjoyable.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys! Just wondering if anyone of you know if the pharmacist consultation form would be taken into account when it comes to ranking the applicants? Also, do we have to shadow a pharmacist or just talk to them about the profession and have them sign the form? I'm really having difficulties in finding a pharmacy to volunteer in or to job shadow.

From what it says on the admissions website, I know that the consultation form counts. How much though? I am not sure. However, I am pretty sure that you don't have to volunteer or even shadow a pharmacist to get the signature. All you have to do is inquire (ask 5-10 questions or even more if circumstances permit) about the pharmacy profession and have a pharmacist confirm that by signing your form. Seriously, if you have everything planned out and rehearsed you could do this in about 5 minutes. So next time you visit a pharmacy, bring a form along and ask the pharmacist if it will be alright to ask them a few questions about what they do and that you'd need their signature at the end if that is alright with them so you can apply to school. Keep trying, more will rather decline but at the end one will be happy to do it. 

Good luck! :D

^ Agreed. I would suggest calling the pharmacy first and explaining you're a student aspiring to get into pharmacy and need the pharmacist to chat with you for a few minutes and sign your form; and ask when the best time to drop in would be - especially since a lot of pharmacies are busy and the pharmacist may not have a chance to talk with you right away if you drop in randomly

^ Agreed. I would suggest calling the pharmacy first and explaining you're a student aspiring to get into pharmacy and need the pharmacist to chat with you for a few minutes and sign your form; and ask when the best time to drop in would be - especially since a lot of pharmacies are busy and the pharmacist may not have a chance to talk with you right away if you drop in randomly

Good call. Thanks for pointing this out.

• 2 weeks later...

Confused Soul, 

I'm wondering what your GPA (both prereq and overall) was getting in? 

What do you think is the lowest GPA of someone getting in that you know of?

I'm getting a bit nervous with the deadlines coming up!

My prereq GPA is a bit higher than my overall, does anyone figure that would put me at much of a disadvantage? 

Confused Soul,

My prereq GPA is a bit higher than my overall, does anyone figure that would put me at much of a disadvantage?

I believe they calculate three GPAs as part of your application - pre req GPA,Overall GPA, last two years GPA (if applicable)

In terms of lowest GPA I've heard of - i honestly cant say accurately since not many people talk about that. Most people I've talked to got in with around 3.5s. However, once again thats just from very small number of people.

As far as I've been told, the overall GPA matters significantly less with every extra year of undergrad that you have done. They seem to care about how well you've done in last years and seeing your trends in grades. However, thats just something I've been told by previous students, so it might not always be accurate.

Confused Soul, 

I hope you don't mind me tagging along in this conversation. The higher the better but a higher pre-req GPA shouldn't put you at disadvantage assuming both your pre-req and overall are solid. From previous email exchanges with U of A admissions, it seems actually that they favor a higher pre-req GPA as those courses were picked specifically by the faculty to reflect how prepared the student is for pharmacy. 

@Koko.  I called the school this week and I was told I didn't have to send my transcript. The lady I talked to said they were going to contact people for interview based on the application, letter of intent and consultation form ( i don't think that's right). The school website doesn't help either as it doesn't show when to send in our unofficial transcript. When did you send your transcript?

I didn't personally but U of A requested them themselves through apply alberta since I am an Alberta resident. I've never had to send transcripts to U of A because of that reason. Can you email them at Studentservices-pharmacy@ualberta.ca? Mrs. Beaumont has been more than helpful in the past. However, from what I can see on the website, it seems that no interim transcripts are required and you only need to make sure your final transcripts make it there by June 15. 

@Koko thanks.. I called the school and they said I don't have to send an unofficial transcript but I'm going to just in case. So are they going to call people for interview based on their applications, letter of intent and the pharmacist consultation form??

As far as I know they give an interview to anyone who 'qualifies' meaning people that have completed all the pre-reqs or their equivalents and have all the elements of the application sent in and signed. But take this with a grain of salt. You never know when they change things. 

• 2 weeks later...

Shucks, I live in Calgary and have class on that day.  :unsure:

I was checking out the Pharmacy Students Association Facebook page and got really jealous! The program looks so great! It just makes me want to try harder and somehow sneak in!  :ph34r:

you and I both! 

Oh I can think of one, how about a question on whether or not U of A will be following the rest of Canadian Pharmacy programs and switching theirs into an entry-to-practice PharmD instead of the Bachelor's they have now? I know they opened up the  2 year post-Bachelor PharmD degree pretty recently but you never know. 

Also, how about more info on what portion of the application is made up of each of GPA, LOI, and video interview? And even how exactly applicants are ranked  - is it GPA based once they're deemed 'rankeable' from their LOI and interview or does each component give you a score? 

I feel like these questions are all very intimate and will likely not be answered but it doesn't hurt to try asking them if you can. 

I went to an info session in October and they actually mentioned the entry-to-practice PharmD program. They said that it's still to be determined when the program would be implemented at UofA, but most likely not until at least 2017 or 2018.

It would definitely be worth it to ask and find out if there are any updates about that though.

Archived