Premed 101 Forums

Official University Of Alberta 2015 Pharmacy Applicants - Class Of 2019

Koko

I went to an info session in October and they actually mentioned the entry-to-practice PharmD program. They said that it's still to be determined when the program would be implemented at UofA, but most likely not until at least 2017 or 2018.

It would definitely be worth it to ask and find out if there are any updates about that though.

interesting, thanks for the input!

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh I can think of one, how about a question on whether or not U of A will be following the rest of Canadian Pharmacy programs and switching theirs into an entry-to-practice PharmD instead of the Bachelor's they have now? I know they opened up the 2 year post-Bachelor PharmD degree pretty recently but you never know.

I believe the PharmD is only a one year program at the UofA. PharmD also differs from Entry-level PharmD programs from other universities. They vaguely explain it on the UofA PharmD website page, leaving a lot of gaps in explaining exactly what each one will give you.

Alright, I'm back from the info session! Here are some of the things that I have learned:

1) They sounded very confident saying that the direct-entry PharmD program was starting Fall 2017 (note that NOTHING is set in stone as of now). For those who do not know, currently you have to do four years of BSc in Pharmacy and one extra year to get your PharmD. Direct-entry is that you get accepted and in four years you get your PharmD (with the caveat that the prerequisites will be a bit more demanding).   

2) How they balance the Letter of Intent, Interview, Pre-GPA and GPA is still a mystery. Sorry kokoko, they guard it very well. I was no match for Rae, even with my intrepid reporter skills! (By the way, Rae is as sweet as she is in email as she is in person). 

What I wanted to know was what qualifies us to get a video interview. Think about it. They do not get our marks until around May. If we submit our LOI are we automatically qualified for an interview? Or do some people get "red-flagged" and never receive an opportunity? Again, no answer.

Overall the session was pretty awesome and the people there were fantastic. Definitely worth the mind-numbing road trip!

Alright, I'm back from the info session! Here are some of the things that I have learned:

1) They sounded very confident saying that the direct-entry PharmD program was starting Fall 2017 (note that NOTHING is set in stone as of now). For those who do not know, currently you have to do four years of BSc in Pharmacy and one extra year to get your PharmD. Direct-entry is that you get accepted and in four years you get your PharmD (with the caveat that the prerequisites will be a bit more demanding).   

2) How they balance the Letter of Intent, Interview, Pre-GPA and GPA is still a mystery. Sorry kokoko, they guard it very well. I was no match for Rae, even with my intrepid reporter skills! (By the way, Rae is as sweet as she is in email as she is in person). 

What I wanted to know was what qualifies us to get a video interview. Think about it. They do not get our marks until around May. If we submit our LOI are we automatically qualified for an interview? Or do some people get "red-flagged" and never receive an opportunity? Again, no answer.

Overall the session was pretty awesome and the people there were fantastic. Definitely worth the mind-numbing road trip!

Thank you so much for actually asking the questions I posted. 

As far as the video interview qualification, I think anyone that has signed their letter of intent and meets the base/cut off requirements outlined on the website and pays the application fee gets the to do the interview. From past forums and talks with other students, there is also a theory about how applications are graded and ranked: they look at your interview and letter of intent and give you a 'pass' or 'fail' on each. If you get a 'pass' on both then you are ranked based on your GPA score. Just a theory and not even mine so feel free to discount it. It does make some sense though. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Since the deadline is soon approaching, I was wondering If I could get your advice on something. I am going to include my personal experiences with taking anti-depressant drugs as a part of me learning what the role of the pharmacist is since my condition has subjected me to so much interactions with these professionals. I am aware that this is a pretty sensitive information but I am totally fine sharing it. I am also aware that there is still stigma associated with mental health disease even though it is getting better. I do not want the committee to take pity on me but why not use valid life experience as a resource when you have them? So my question is, do any of you know of any University of Alberta policies that may not appreciate me including such details in my letter? I believe my letter will be stronger with these details because they are true and they are mine. 

Obviously, any feedback is appreciated. 

KOko

Hey guys,

Since the deadline is soon approaching, I was wondering If I could get your advice on something. I am going to include my personal experiences with taking anti-depressant drugs as a part of me learning what the role of the pharmacist is since my condition has subjected me to so much interactions with these professionals. I am aware that this is a pretty sensitive information but I am totally fine sharing it. I am also aware that there is still stigma associated with mental health disease even though it is getting better. I do not want the committee to take pity on me but why not use valid life experience as a resource when you have them? So my question is, do any of you know of any University of Alberta policies that may not appreciate me including such details in my letter? I believe my letter will be stronger with these details because they are true and they are mine. 

Obviously, any feedback is appreciated. 

KOko

I think its fantastic that you are willing to share that, especially due to the fact that this experience has taught you a lot about the role of a pharmacist. You are right, there is a lot of stigma surrounding taking anti-depressants, and I think it is great that you are able to be open about that. I definitely do not think that the faculty would view it as "pity," nor are there any policies around that as far as I know. However, if you are slightly concerned about it, I would suggest perhaps focusing your experience with anti-depressants towards being your major resource, that lead you to realize just how much a pharmacist does. You can emphasize your interactions with pharmacists and how they were able to assist you, as the main point of your answer. I believe the faculty ultimately looks for you to know as much as possible about what a pharmacist does. I think sharing your personal experiences that lead you to acquire that knowledge would make you stand out more in your LOI.

Hey guys

I've been silently following this forum for months now and I finally decided to chime in! :)  I finished applying and handed in all my documents, yaaaaay!

For those of you who have applied before, especially 2014 pool,  I was wondering how the interview was for you guys? I understand it's web based with a live person (I believe???) on the other end. Was it very nerve wracking?? How many questions were asked? And are the questions based off more on yourself and your accomplishments or pertain to the field of pharmacy?

THANKS SO MUCH! And good luck to everyone applying!

Hey guys

I've been silently following this forum for months now and I finally decided to chime in!  :)  I finished applying and handed in all my documents, yaaaaay!

For those of you who have applied before, especially 2014 pool,  I was wondering how the interview was for you guys? I understand it's web based with a live person (I believe???) on the other end. Was it very nerve wracking?? How many questions were asked? And are the questions based off more on yourself and your accomplishments or pertain to the field of pharmacy?

THANKS SO MUCH! And good luck to everyone applying!

Hi Olivia!

I'm a first year pharmacy student at the UofA (2014 pool), and I could try answering your questions! Keep in mind that these responses are mine only, so they will probably differ depending on who you ask.

It was web based, yes, but it wasn't with a live person. It was actually a recording of Dion Brocks (Associate Dean). He asks you a question, and then you have 10 seconds to prepare your response, which can be a maximum of two minutes long (you can end your response anytime though). We were only asked two questions, not too sure about this year's applicants.

Nerve wracking? I'd be lying if I said it wasn't! We were asked to "look professional", so you may want to dress-up, at least from your waist up. And you are given the option to try a practice question, and record your response, before the actual questions. This is most likely to test your sound quality, check how you look, and also ease your nerves. 

The questions were... interesting to say the least. The first one was personal, but fairly easy to answer, as it was akin to the typical "Tell me a bit about yourself" that you get in job interviews. The second question was related to healthcare. I think they were looking for well rounded individuals, rather than students who have canned responses and just say whatever they think the committee wants to hear.

Hope this helps!

Hi Olivia!

I'm a first year pharmacy student at the UofA (2014 pool), and I could try answering your questions! Keep in mind that these responses are mine only, so they will probably differ depending on who you ask.

It was web based, yes, but it wasn't with a live person. It was actually a recording of Dion Brocks (Associate Dean). He asks you a question, and then you have 10 seconds to prepare your response, which can be a maximum of two minutes long (you can end your response anytime though). We were only asked two questions, not too sure about this year's applicants.

Nerve wracking? I'd be lying if I said it wasn't! We were asked to "look professional", so you may want to dress-up, at least from your waist up. And you are given the option to try a practice question, and record your response, before the actual questions. This is most likely to test your sound quality, check how you look, and also ease your nerves. 

The questions were... interesting to say the least. The first one was personal, but fairly easy to answer, as it was akin to the typical "Tell me a bit about yourself" that you get in job interviews. The second question was related to healthcare. I think they were looking for well rounded individuals, rather than students who have canned responses and just say whatever they think the committee wants to hear.

Hope this helps!

This helped tremendously!! Thank you sooooo much!! When you say "related to health care" do you mean in terms of Pharmacists in Alberta and their regulations or just hypothetical situations like our last question in our letter of intent? I get that you need to tread lightly and that you don't want to give out too much information, but ANYTHING is helpful at this point.

Oh and by the way, how are you liking your first year so far? I heard course load is extremely chill and you have days off! I hope it's working out great for you

Thanks, again!

Just wondering, does employment experience (in LOI) include volunteer work or just paid work?

Thanks. I'm still working on my LOI, it's amazing to know that a lot of you have already submitted it. :)

I think volunteering is fine, it's still work even though you don't get paid for it. Send admissions an email perhaps? That's probably your safest bet. I did only include paid positions in mine. 

Hello,

I am a pharmacy student in the class of 2018. I just wanted to note that I had 0 volunteer hours on my application. So if your worried about volunteer experience don't be.

I had A- or above in all of my prerequisite courses except a C and a C- in two of my prereqs. I also had 4 years of university with a mojority of my marks above A- with very few B+ (including the two C marks mentioned above). Prereq gpa was around 3.8-3.9.

Now that I am in pharmacy I can say that it is not the most exciting field of study (so far). The classes can be quite boring and for the amount of $ it costs i feel that i could teach the majority of the material to myself. It is however the route you have to take if you want to get your piece of paper. The reason i find this year to be so boring/dry is that we have spent allot of time discussing proper methods of communication as well as pharmacy law and history. I am more of a science guy and prefer hardcore biology/chemistry (we had a few classes like this which were enjoyable).

Some of the things that I was most shocked about.

Communication classes are new to me, and you will be in laboratory settings speaking with "mock patients". You will be video recorded and graded on the interactions.

If you are not a people person and you do not like the idea of customer service then you should definetly rethink this path. Personally I would rather have gone into optometry however that required a move to toronto.

The chemistry was very dry and boring as they will have you remembering 100-150 molecules as well as allot of completely useless random drug knowledge although it is doable with flash cards and you will be dreading every minute of this course.

The pharmacy class is fun, meet lots of people and a really tight nit setting.

I would post more but I am currently studying for a final exam that we have on friday.

Good luck all!

Does anyone know how long it takes to get the UofA email account and other information sent to me after submitting the application.

I remember I had to call in to get it for some reason. But since the deadline is approaching soon, I'd call them myself just in case. Phone: 780.492.3113, maybe give these guys a call, have your U alberta Student assigned ID handy. There were super helpful last time I talked to them. 

Good luck man!

Koko

Hello,

I am a pharmacy student in the class of 2018. I just wanted to note that I had 0 volunteer hours on my application. So if your worried about volunteer experience don't be.

I had A- or above in all of my prerequisite courses except a C and a C- in two of my prereqs. I also had 4 years of university with a mojority of my marks above A- with very few B+ (including the two C marks mentioned above). Prereq gpa was around 3.8-3.9.

Now that I am in pharmacy I can say that it is not the most exciting field of study (so far). The classes can be quite boring and for the amount of $ it costs i feel that i could teach the majority of the material to myself. It is however the route you have to take if you want to get your piece of paper. The reason i find this year to be so boring/dry is that we have spent allot of time discussing proper methods of communication as well as pharmacy law and history. I am more of a science guy and prefer hardcore biology/chemistry (we had a few classes like this which were enjoyable).

Some of the things that I was most shocked about.

Communication classes are new to me, and you will be in laboratory settings speaking with "mock patients". You will be video recorded and graded on the interactions.

If you are not a people person and you do not like the idea of customer service then you should definetly rethink this path. Personally I would rather have gone into optometry however that required a move to toronto.

The chemistry was very dry and boring as they will have you remembering 100-150 molecules as well as allot of completely useless random drug knowledge although it is doable with flash cards and you will be dreading every minute of this course.

The pharmacy class is fun, meet lots of people and a really tight nit setting.

I would post more but I am currently studying for a final exam that we have on friday.

Good luck all!

Thanks for this! It's always exciting to hear from people on the inside  :D

Does anyone know or have any idea what the "realistic pGPA" is needed to get in especially for 1st yrs? I'm applying from 1st yr and most people that I know has a ~3.8 pGPA (assuming GPA from 1st term is maintained). I feel that we may not be competitive enough compared to those applying from higher years.

Does anyone know or have any idea what the "realistic pGPA" is needed to get in especially for 1st yrs? I'm applying from 1st yr and most people that I know has a ~3.8 pGPA (assuming GPA from 1st term is maintained). I feel that we may not be competitive enough compared to those applying from higher years.

That is a highly competitive pGPA but don't forget about how the admissions committee also takes into account your LOI, consultation form and interview.

(Note: What I am about to say is entirely speculation)

Remember, UofA does not want smart people, they want smart people who will complete the program. I'm sure UofA has rejected 4.0s on these grounds because it is very easy to discern from a LOI whether or not an applicant is legitimately into the profession. That is why the realistic pGPA is 3.7 and the university recommends that you do take two years to complete the pre-reqs so you have time to explore and understand your options. If you don't? Well, that's money out of the University's pocket. They want to bring 130 kids in and churn out 130 pharmacists.

Archived