Premed 101 Forums

Official University Of Alberta 2015 Pharmacy Applicants - Class Of 2019

Koko

Thanks for the kind words guys, I really hope to meet some of you next year! 

Also, in case anyone is wondering, I sent an email to U of A Pharmacy and as long as it is not a pre-req they don't make much of a "W", it is as if you never took the course.

Hey Koko, did they say what will happen to your application if you had a "W" for your pre-req? because I did withdraw a English class in my first year of university. 

Thanks!!

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Koko, did they say what will happen to your application if you had a "W" for your pre-req? because I did withdraw a English class in my first year of university. 

Thanks!!

No, not in particular about that, but they told me that they basically don't go around analyzing your transcript. It sounded as if as long as you have the pre-reqs in place with valid grades for them (you obviously needed to have done an English course after you dropped the one in your first year to fulfill the requirements for the program) you should be fine and in no way disadvantaged. 

Hope this helps, but dont be afraid to just email the faculty, they're super helpful.

Hello everyone, I have been following this post for a while now and I really appreciate everyone's questions and answers (helped me a lot)! I am currently a first year science student in the UoA and I am not doing too well. My overall GPA for the four pre-req courses last term was only 3.3 and I am planning to replace these marks with higher level courses. I am trying really hard but still struggling a bit this term so I am worried about my GPA this term as well. I am wondering if I still have any chance in being accepted to Pharm... Was anyone in this situation before and how did you get out of it? Any feedback or tips would be appreciated.

Seriously man, it's been your first semester. A few pieces of advice I can really give you is that you should try and enjoy school and the courses you are doing as much as you can. Try and ask yourself why you haven't been performing as well as you were expecting. Go meet with a counselor or an academic adviser. Go speak to your profs about feedback on what you can improve. Do you like the program you're in or are you just trying to get by to finish the pharm pre-reqs? Is stress getting to you? In that case maybe a little bit of exercise here and there could help or just hanging out with some friends. Do you study by yourself or in groups? Can you ask any of your classmates for help? Try figure it out. 3.3 is actually not too bad, It's your first year still, you can still finish strong just figure it out now rather than later. Also, if you're not enjoying the courses, at all, then you might want to look into other programs or re-evaluate your decision to go into pharmacy at all. I say ask yourself some questions and honestly answer those, then make yourself a road map and make some decisions. This should be exciting. 

Hope this helps. 

Koko

Seriously man, it's been your first semester. A few pieces of advice I can really give you is that you should try and enjoy school and the courses you are doing as much as you can. Try and ask yourself why you haven't been performing as well as you were expecting. Go meet with a counselor or an academic adviser. Go speak to your profs about feedback on what you can improve. Do you like the program you're in or are you just trying to get by to finish the pharm pre-reqs? Is stress getting to you? In that case maybe a little bit of exercise here and there could help or just hanging out with some friends. Do you study by yourself or in groups? Can you ask any of your classmates for help? Try figure it out. 3.3 is actually not too bad, It's your first year still, you can still finish strong just figure it out now rather than later. Also, if you're not enjoying the courses, at all, then you might want to look into other programs or re-evaluate your decision to go into pharmacy at all. I say ask yourself some questions and honestly answer those, then make yourself a road map and make some decisions. This should be exciting. 

Hope this helps. 

Koko

Wow thanks so much Koko! I will definitely consider your advice. I really enjoy my courses but the stress of achieving higher marks is taking over my interest in the subjects. I think I need to re-evaluate what is more important for me and if Pharmacy is going to stay on my top list then I will find ways to make it work. 

yeah, this is one of the aspects of professional schools (pharm, med, vet) I really hate. If your only goal as an undergraduate is to get to that professional school end point you're going to dread going through the journey while that's actually the most important of it all. We're still growing up and finding things out about everything. Going to university and learning new things is a hell of an opportunity and a privilege. Don't become a zombie, take a step back. Pick courses that you find interesting not ones that are "easy A's", write research papers and make presentations on topics you've always wanted to tackle instead of something you know everything about. Sometimes not doing well in one thing is just a way of that thing telling you that perhaps you might want to look at other things to do or study. For now, the best advice I can ever give you is to do the best you can in your current semester's courses and keep your mind and options open. Who knows? You might want to do biomedical engineering or physiotherapy next year. 

Good luck bro!

Archived