Premed 101 Forums

Reconsidering Medicine (Depressed)

And to mention, he did not have enough money and was denied a loan as he did get into med school. I am 21. In my fourth year. And tbh, I have no one. All my friends don't listen and I'm taking on responsibilities which require me to look like I'm 100% A-okay and 10 steps ahead of the 8-ball. So no friends. The ones I spoke to, the convos typically go with me complaining and to them saying "you need to get over her". Wow thanks for the help, I DIDN'T KNOW I SHOULD GET OVER HER. WOW!!!!!!!!!! GREAT ADVICE.

Financial stability is absolutely difficult. I am trying to set up an online business for that. I want to wake up every morning and not worry that I don't have $4 for a cup of coffee and a bagel. It's just not fair and it's not like I sit on my arse and complain - by my ECs, you can tell I am doing everything I can. And I have no time for self-improvement.

Side note:

Before someone says stop spending money on drugs - I have only used marijuana for the brief break up period, for 2 months daily. I quit and have been sober for 2 months now. Adderall usage is only during high stress periods. Diphenhydramine is like $10 and is daily to fall asleep because I can't sleep because I have so many thoughts racing due to stress. Caffeine? I bought a cheap coffee maker for $5 and I use the dirt no-name coffee for $8 bucks. I typically go through the equivalent of 3 Tim Horton's large cup of pure black coffee/day.

Must be a tough time, but maybe you should see a doctor. Stop taking all those drugs, adderall, coffee, they are all hurting your health not to mention like you said they are pretty expensive. 

Just chiming in, but you seem to have gotten yourself into a cycle of stress and substance dependence. And you're young. Very young! Relationship setbacks can be devastating, but I suppose we always need to get through the bad stuff to come out stronger later on. Most people don't end up with the same person they started dating early in undergrad (some, but not many). 

Otherwise you need to dial back from your current lifestyle, get rid of projects or commitments that aren't necessary, and focus on the essentials of school life and, I'd say, socialization. 

From a med school application angle, the most interesting things an applicant can bring to the table are experience and maturity. I don't know really how you'd come across in an interview, but you need to address the use of things like Adderall and Benadryl, as success in medicine is as much about dealing with stress effectively as it is about taking care of yourself outside of work. The two are inseparable. In short, there is always time for "self-improvement", and you need to start making time for it. You can't really go on as you have been, and fortunately it sounds like you're taking steps to address just that. 

And to mention, he did not have enough money and was denied a loan as he did get into med school. I am 21. In my fourth year. And tbh, I have no one. All my friends don't listen and I'm taking on responsibilities which require me to look like I'm 100% A-okay and 10 steps ahead of the 8-ball. So no friends. The ones I spoke to, the convos typically go with me complaining and to them saying "you need to get over her". Wow thanks for the help, I DIDN'T KNOW I SHOULD GET OVER HER. WOW!!!!!!!!!! GREAT ADVICE.

Financial stability is absolutely difficult. I am trying to set up an online business for that. I want to wake up every morning and not worry that I don't have $4 for a cup of coffee and a bagel. It's just not fair and it's not like I sit on my arse and complain - by my ECs, you can tell I am doing everything I can. And I have no time for self-improvement.

Side note:

Before someone says stop spending money on drugs - I have only used marijuana for the brief break up period, for 2 months daily. I quit and have been sober for 2 months now. Adderall usage is only during high stress periods. Diphenhydramine is like $10 and is daily to fall asleep because I can't sleep because I have so many thoughts racing due to stress. Caffeine? I bought a cheap coffee maker for $5 and I use the dirt no-name coffee for $8 bucks. I typically go through the equivalent of 3 Tim Horton's large cup of pure black coffee/day.

Thank you med start!

A-stark,

My issue is that I'm so behind and so stuck in this situation that idk what to do. I'm going to my counselor Monday and going to request aegrotat but my fear is that if they don't grant it, I will be absolutely shrewdly thrown into crap and left to caught up. And tbh? I hate the courses I'm in. I have no interest. And I want to go into medical sciences but I can't be back tracked by another year.

Regarding my roles,

It's very hard to give everything you struggled so damn hard for. Like I've spent so much time cracking away at contracts to have my societies secure, so much time at the research, lots of effort into my entrepreneur projects. Giving up now is letting my hard work go. I just want a break because I've not even taken a summer off in 3 years. And when I tell my parents this? "Get used to this its life". Well I hope I don't live to live this life then.

Regarding my roles,

It's very hard to give everything you struggled so damn hard for. Like I've spent so much time cracking away at contracts to have my societies secure, so much time at the research, lots of effort into my entrepreneur projects. Giving up now is letting my hard work go. I just want a break because I've not even taken a summer off in 3 years. And when I tell my parents this? "Get used to this its life". Well I hope I don't live to live this life then.

Well you have to grow up and stick up to your parents honestly.

And if you still can't do that, then I would drop that course your missed the 40% assignment. If you don't, you'll be a big mess and you'll endup wasting this year in terms of GPA for med school. 

Archived