Premed 101 Forums

Canadians studying in US

Guest berrypie

Guest berrypie

For those Canadians out there who have studied/are studying at US med schools...

How different is it to studying/practicing in Canada? I know that's a pretty open-ended question, so what are the major differences (both positive and negative) that you've experienced? Do the differences in Can-US healthcare approaches heavily influence how and what you learn in med school?

I have a friend who went to med school in the US and she told me that she would never in a million years return to practice in the US because of their privatized system...any thoughtS?

The system, like Canada's, has its pros and cons. Where you practice, you will have access to technology readily. The health care system is great if you are rich, have a good job with good insurance, a vet or are poor or elderly. A common misconception is that the poor do not get health care. This cannot be further from the truth. The problem is the lower-middle class--not the very poor, but those that neither qualify for government aid nor have insurance.

Another thing to worry about in the US is malpractice. You can literally pay 100x more for malpractice down here, depending on your specialty. And because of the risk of malpractice you tend on abusing technology, and wasting more money ordering unnecessary tests.

Archived